horn stacks

zachsbugle

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what exactly do u mean, "horn stacks'?? did we jump on top of each other? :P

I think he means, how we set our horns down in groups. I know that some corps do crazy stuff on finals night (like Madison Scouts making a big pile of contras, for example). We don't do anything crazy like that, not having the money to replace the horns when something goes wrong.

Our hornline sometiems stacked out horns cool for retreat block (before we went on)....we put teh contra in the middle and the other orns around it....it kinda looked like a sun. it was purty. :lol:

Renegades Mellos in formation...

melloseven.jpg

No horn stacks when I marched...too expensive to replace. We just put 'em down in front of us like everyone else did.

Now the bass line was different...they'd stack the drums witht he rims down, then set the #1 on top with the head facing the crowd and drape a California flag over it...don't know if they still do that...on the '84 video you can see one of the guys jumping up and down as BD's percussion caption win is announced...he was trying to put the flag up at the time.

i mean in formation, doesn't everybody do hornstacks? i thought that was a major thing done in corps.

like set the horns down in order high to low just before lunch or dinner. or else a section stack before a long water break.

We do that. We set them all down in a long row for meals, usually within sight of us. If we can't do that, we have someone guard them. After shows we don't; too dangerous, and someone could steal a horn if we leave them sitting outside the bus or truck, so we just put them away right away. If we're staying at our housing overnight after a practice day, we usually line our horns up in the gym or somewhere else nearby to where we're sleeping, so they'll be easily accessible to us in the morning.

Yeah we did that. we didn't call it that. It was just lining up the retreat block. not horn stacks. Yeah sometime the sops put ours in a star, mellos did random things. Contras had fun with balancing acts sometimes. Baritones never really did anything. But most shows we just laid them down in our order of field retreat, not quite as fun, couldnt' do too much. no money for new horns, so not too much fun. B)