Can a top rated band beat a....top......21 corps

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:feednotroll:

I'm certain the top bands could knock out some of the lower 21. I mean, it's like having the top college football team play...say...the Minnesota Vikings.

Which is NOT to say that marching a "lower" placing corps is NOT a valuable experiance. I learned more from my months with Pioneer concerning performance, dedication, and my craft on my horn then I did in my years at college studying for my music education degree.

But then again, my college football team wouldn't stand a chance against the Minnesota Vikings.

This is a tough call.

BOA isn't that big of a deal out here in the East. We follow USSBA and TOB, and, to a lesser extent, NYSFBC. All 3 circuits have great programs. All 3 circuits top 5 programs are forces to be reckoned with and are the prides of their schools.

I've seen the 'BOA' ready schools in TOB and USSBA. I don't like the programs they put out. They're more artsy and abstract, which is something I don't like to see on a football field. Maybe that's the way BOA judging sheets are written, I don't know. But I see BOA, and I want to go to sleep, based on what I've seen out here. I've not seen the Grand Nationals, so my own sample is skewed regarding BOA. But, don't get me wrong, the kids are extremely talented, and good at what they do.

COULD they take on a Division I program? Maybe. IF, and only if, you leveled the playing field. If you cut down a top BOA to DCI levels, you might see them take out 18-21, but that's about it.

I also agree with those that state DCI drumlines would blow away high school drumlines. DCI drumlines are a whole separate universe.

We need bands and drum corps to coexist. It's the best of both worlds. :)

This is a tough call.

BOA isn't that big of a deal out here in the East. We follow USSBA and TOB, and, to a lesser extent, NYSFBC. All 3 circuits have great programs. All 3 circuits top 5 programs are forces to be reckoned with and are the prides of their schools.

I've seen the 'BOA' ready schools in TOB and USSBA. I don't like the programs they put out. They're more artsy and abstract, which is something I don't like to see on a football field. Maybe that's the way BOA judging sheets are written, I don't know. But I see BOA, and I want to go to sleep, based on what I've seen out here. I've not seen the Grand Nationals, so my own sample is skewed regarding BOA. But, don't get me wrong, the kids are extremely talented, and good at what they do.

COULD they take on a Division I program? Maybe. IF, and only if, you leveled the playing field. If you cut down a top BOA to DCI levels, you might see them take out 18-21, but that's about it.

I also agree with those that state DCI drumlines would blow away high school drumlines. DCI drumlines are a whole separate universe.

We need bands and drum corps to coexist. It's the best of both worlds. :)

You good sir win this thread.

w/Stp: :blink::lol: ^OO^ :drool: :mmm: :laugh:

In fact some of the most entertaining shows for me year after year come from 6 place and below. I don't need to be awed but insane difficutly or depth. Just entertain me.

i can kind of agree with you on that. because some of the top bands also seem to expect that they will get a placement. and as i can say with all honesty and truth that some of them do. i can't count the number of times my highschool band came isn 2nd or 3rd place when we deserved higher because we played and marched cleaner(and didn't have members take out their line after falling) but the judges kind of flipped us off and gave a better placement to a group because of just who they were(followed by the band parents of the school that won booing the judges. and yelling my school should have won. odd momnet there that i still don't understand). but the bands that are going to come in lower and know it either because they are not as clean or because of the sad fact that there is politics in everything. kind of go in with the mind set of to #### with everyone and everything lets just go have some fun. the bands in 1st and 2nd might be scrapping for 1st but when the show starts it's almost a givin who will win. so they seem to slack some.

but that is where the agreement ends but i have see bands in 1st and 2nd go out and just kick everything up another notch and show why they are standing on top of the hill instead of down around 6th. and make you go home to take a cold shower after seeing the show they put on.

but back on topic. i can't see a top band in any circut doing too well against a div 1 corp just because of level of skill, attitude, and desire. yea a band might have some darn good members who could go against the lead sops of any corp and come out on top. but there is also the larger number of kids who just kind of fill space. they line music and marching band but don't really plan on going anywhere with it and just see band as something to do on the weekends. where as a drum corp will have alot few of those type of people. and a top div 1 will have very few because they just won't cut it. and they throw into the mix of the kids in marching band with no disopline and could care less and just see it as a social event. and not to mention the gap in practice time between the two(although longer harder practices might weed out some of the kids who just don't care about band). now if a band could lose those two types of people and get more people who had that drive to just go out day after day regaurdless of the weather and would try to push it each time. maby they could take a lower level corp but not a top corp. woudl it be nice to watch yea it would. but i think the score would be too lopsided just because the time a drum corp has to clean and improve the show and their skills.

No. A marching band will never, EVER, be as good as a top 12 drum corps. Reason? Rehearsal time. Whereas drum corps rehearse every single day for 2 and a half months, bands rehearse...what...half of that if lucky?? But of course, they have all those woodwinds anyway... ^0^

they would lose because of all the penalties for woodwinds, sousa, etc......heeheeheeheehee

lighten up peeps, its just drum corps/band for goodness sake

yep, i said it....juuuuusssst drum corps and band

get out of the practice room and off the computers

<santa>