When was the final switch over

I'm afraid its not baseless. Anyone who is interested should take a Physics of Music class (its mostly about acoustics), its a very informative class. Not many schools have one though...

However, I'll agree that the over-projection issues were not sufficient to stop using the G's. The market issues, however, were. When you can sell horns not only to other corps but to bands as well, its a much wider market. It just makes good economic sense. The argument of being able to sell G horns to senior corps and lower division DCI corps doesn't stand because if everyone was using Gs...you'd run out of buyers in a hurry.

Still, the option is always there. G wasn't made illegal, they just legalized any-key brass so that corps would have a choice.

I don't "need" a physics of music class to make this determination. I have years of sound and engineering under my belt, not to mention my own personal opinion and ears. I know how to listen and what to listen too.

:)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RCR continues to play G horns.

Right now we have Dynasty horns. (Not the most impressive horns I think.)

Several horns have had finger rings break off. One of our Euphsblew out his leadpipe! That didn't happpen with the Olds Ultratones.

Maybe senior corps are too full of old dinosaurs like me, but I hope that we continue to resist the Bb horns. If I want to hear Trumpets and Tubas, I'll go watch a band. When I want to hear Sopranos and Contra Basses, I'll go see a Drum Corps.

/Rant off

Maybe senior corps are too full of old dinosaurs like me, but I hope that we continue to resist the Bb horns. If I want to hear Trumpets and Tubas, I'll go watch a band. When I want to hear Sopranos and Contra Basses, I'll go see a Drum Corps.

There are quite a few DCA corps that have switched to Bb/F.

Mike

So basically what you are saying is that if treated properly, there is no reason to buy new horns every couple of years. That could save a bit of money for some of these corps that seem to be strapped every year and possibly lower the amount of money necessary to march. I don't think anyone could tell the difference between Star's 9th year on the their horns in '93 vs. the rest. This also seems to dispell another falsehood about the bottomless pockets that were available to Star.

Thanks for making the logical jump that many on this forum fail to make as they read "Star" as "$tar". From day one, it was always about respecting and taking care of your equipment.

I think that in today's agreements, it may just be that the manufacturers want their latest and greatest in the hands of the elite corps. It's also my opinion that the manufacturers are still tweaking the Bb bugles. It hasn't been until the last 2 or 3 years that I've heard (again my opinion) anything really close to the sound of the King "K" line of G bugles.

I just started reading this thread and it may be posted already, but I'll ask since I'm posting.

Now that the Troopers are inactive for 2006, are there any Junior corps still playing on all G's?

I heard that Star of Indiana once shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.

But seriously, the 1991 golden chalices were said to have been made in Germany at a cost I don't remember, when in reality they were two different-sized Styrofoam planters turned end-to-end and covered with gold contact paper. Cost per each item: $7.

Thanks for making the logical jump that many on this forum fail to make as they read "Star" as "$tar". From day one, it was always about respecting and taking care of your equipment.

I think that in today's agreements, it may just be that the manufacturers want their latest and greatest in the hands of the elite corps. It's also my opinion that the manufacturers are still tweaking the Bb bugles. It hasn't been until the last 2 or 3 years that I've heard (again my opinion) anything really close to the sound of the King "K" line of G bugles.

I just started reading this thread and it may be posted already, but I'll ask since I'm posting.

Now that the Troopers are inactive for 2006, are there any Junior corps still playing on all G's?

Pioneer, maybe Blue Stars.

Even the senior corps are starting to switch over to Bb. The Cabs last year were Bb.

:lol:

Just an FYI...The Cabs went Bb in 2004, they were the 1st DCA corps to switch.

Last year, Bucs, MBI, Bush and Cru all made the change. A few more are in the works. I know that class A champs, Chops. Inc. are buying Bb Yamahas for '06. I believe that Alliance was Bb last year as well.

Pat

Look to the div iii's and you will probably see some corps still using G's.

The division iii corps I marched my first year they were playing on G bugles, and, if I am not mistaken, the new corps Renissance from PA will be using G horns when they come out as I saw an announcement from them a little bit ago thanking my old corps (now inactive) for the use of their horns.

:huh:

Just an FYI...The Cabs went Bb in 2004, they were the 1st DCA corps to switch.

Last year, Bucs, MBI, Bush and Cru all made the change. A few more are in the works. I know that class A champs, Chops. Inc. are buying Bb Yamahas for '06. I believe that Alliance was Bb last year as well.

Pat

And DCA corps are advertising their circuit as the "next" great thing for drum and bugle corps? I think not.

Sharon

PS: Talk about capitulating to DCI! JHC... I thought (once upon a time) it was a COLORGUARD thing!!! IMHO.. what a waste of talent.