Drum corps volume testing with DB meters?

In 1999 we did it and believe it or not reached around 114-117 a couple of times.

(Glassmen)

Not to mention that was a pretty good hornline/drum corps for its time.

You are right, that was a very good hornline. Thoroughly enjoyable. Especially that 'acapella' fanfare thing at the end. FREAKIN SWEEET

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Chuck Naffier did a dB test when he was with Colts between the G and Bb horns. Can't remember the results. Chuck?

At the Colts from about 1995 - 1999, Dean Musson and I regularly used the decibal meter (a hand-held Radio Shack model) from about 50 years past the front sideline in places where we has that kind of room.

If we could get "hits" past 138 db at that range, we were doing okay.

Don't know that it makes much difference, but we used it as a tool to remind members that it should always "feel" the same way to play with a big sound, no matter the venue. After playing a series of small, DCM venues, it was usually a good gut-check before heading to larger venues on the DCI tour.

B) B) B)

best,

Chuck Naffier

First of all.... ^ That man is one of my heros.

This is somewhat off topic, yet related... for the past two seasons with my corps a group has come in for a couple of days during spring training to do a study on how being in drum corps could have effects on member's hearing. The expirement involved several random battery and hornline kids wearing a visor with a sensor mounted on it. This sensor would record db levels and then allow the information to be downloaded and analyzed. I wonder what they actually learned by performing this study?

Edited by upperleadlove

http://www.rtagroup.com.au/wizard/definition_acoustics.html

0dB the faintest sound we can hear

30dB a quiet library or in a quiet location in the country

45dB typical office space. Ambience in the city at night

60dB Martin Place at lunch time

70dB the sound of a car passing on the street

80dB loud music played at home

90dB the sound of a truck passing on the street

100dB the sound of a rock band

115dB limit of sound permitted in industry

120dB deafening

Excellent. ^0^

In 1999 we did it and believe it or not reached around 114-117 a couple of times.

(Glassmen)

This was from the top of a scaffolding with a hand held decibel meter that you could buy at any electronics store such as Radio Shack.

( A member of the horline gave it to the brass staff to use, and see what we could get out it:-)

Not sure how reliable or accurate it was,,,but I was shocked at the overall readings to say the least.

We were not going just for sheer volume; because obviously...quality and tuning have alot to do with the overall aura/sound of a good brass line.

Not to mention that was a pretty good hornline/drum corps for its time.

Let me guess: The unison fanfare near the end, Larry? What I wouldn't give to have marched that show.

-Neil

Has anyone out there ever DB tested a drum corps from in the stands? If so, where does the average Division I corps tend to dial in at durring their impact points? This is something I've been meaning to try but always forget to bring one when I go to a corps show. I would guess most corps would register somewhere between 95 and 100DBs (which is pretty darn loud) with maybe a few of DCI's historical loudest corps registering between 100-105dbs (which is ear damaging) but that's a very wild guess. If anyone has done this, how far off am I in my guess?

technically anything over 95 dB for an extended time isn't good.....so yah...

At the Colts from about 1995 - 1999, Dean Musson and I regularly used the decibal meter (a hand-held Radio Shack model) from about 50 years past the front sideline in places where we has that kind of room.

Don't know that it makes much difference, but we used it as a tool to remind members that it should always "feel" the same way to play with a big sound, no matter the venue. After playing a series of small, DCM venues, it was usually a good gut-check before heading to larger venues on the DCI tour.

B) B) B)

best,

Chuck Naffier

Think anyone gets anywhere near that level now days? I meant that as a serious question. I heard people say Crown's line was smoking this year, but they are one of the few I never got to see live.

I remember being told "If the concrete doesn't shake you are not putting out enough sound"

^0^

Let me guess: The unison fanfare near the end, Larry? What I wouldn't give to have marched that show.

-Neil

Actually no....that fanfare section was all unison until the chords at the very end of the phrase. We actually backed off the volume to make it sound louder...(less is more)

The two "full out" moments that rocked the db meter were"

1) The halt in the H.J. Suite where the hornline was in three concentric arcs and the mellos wailed up to a high "D" at the top of the phrase. (117 DB)

2) The first full hit about 1:10 into the opener after we finish the introductory phrases. (105-110 DB)

These readings were done on Thursday of finals week in 1999

At the top of a fairly large hill on top of a 3 story scaffolding;

Approx. the same distance as a decent stadium press box IE: Madison but without the concrete and bowl shaped arena to reflect sound...so I guess it would be even louder if we were in that amosphere?

138dB?

hmm...that sounds just a little bit...um....unrealistic.

Exposure to sound at 138dB of sound pressure (which is what dB/volume is) would cause instantaneous hearing damage.

a typical hand held gun firing is about 138-145dB.

Standing near a reasonably efficient jet engine from a distance of 100ft is around that same level. Deafening levels. Literally.

In fact it only takes sound pressure levels of around 85dB to cause hearing damage.

(from http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/hearingloss.cfm )

Decibel Exposure Time Guidelines

Accepted standards for recommended permissible exposure time for continuous time weighted average noise, according to NIOSH and CDC, 2002. For every 3 dBs over 85dB, the permissible exposure time before possible damage can occur is cut in half.

Continuous dB

Permissible Exposure Time

85 db = 8 hours

88 dB = 4 hours

91 db = 2 hours

94 db = 1 hour

97 db = 30 minutes

100 db = 15 minutes

103 db = 7.5 minutes

106 dB = 3.75 min (< 4min)

109 dB = 1.875 min (< 2min)

112 dB = .9375 min (~1 min)

115 dB = .46875 min (~30 sec)

As you can see, sound pressure levels and the damage they cause grow exponentially.....

Even the loudest hornlines, Id venture to say could maybe approach 105-107dB. And its a wonder how the guys who have been in the hornline/drumline staff positions for decades can still hear anything at all!

And as far as measuring hornlines....the only way to make measuring the dB levels of all hornlines would be to do so in a completely 100% controlled environment. All hornlines would have to be playing the same exact music with the same exact scoring on the same exact field on the same exact night with the same exact drill. And thats if you want to measure a hornlines ability to play while moving.

A more accurate readout of sound would require all hornlines standing still in the exact same formation and exact same distance from the mics/sound devices. If any of that is different, then the variables in question would never give you as accurate a measurement as you'd like.

And so while measuring volume levels at a corps show would be fun....it would only serve as a novelty idea to measure the volume from one show to another, and not truly the hornlines themsevles. But like I said, if you really wanted to know who could play loudest, its not quite so easy.