when phantom played wagner's ' the ring '

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think reasonable people would find your position totally understandable.

Reasonable and me in the same sentence.....that's not common!

Wagner's music transcends the man himself, in my view. He was clearly an anti-Semite, just as Jefferson was a slaveholder, Kennedy a womanizer, and on and on.

He had a hole in his soul, but there was nothing wrong with his ear. I completely understand the ethical person's ambivalence towards all things Wagnerian, but having stood in the center of Phantom's "Elsa", I would not deprive the world of his music, at least not their take on it.

Wagner's music transcends the man himself, in my view. He was clearly an anti-Semite, just as Jefferson was a slaveholder, Kennedy a womanizer, and on and on.

He had a hole in his soul, but there was nothing wrong with his ear. I completely understand the ethical person's ambivalence towards all things Wagnerian, but having stood in the center of Phantom's "Elsa", I would not deprive the world of his music, at least not their take on it.

This I agree with. I suppose I'm a bit more on the negative side than ambivalent, but I too wouldn't deprive the world of his music, and definitely not Regiment's rendition of it.

i find it hard to believe that wagner wrote essays about unity of ideas and sounds and emotions, and buddists / taoist ideas and incorporated them into his music, yet at the same time his stances socially seems to completely contradict his stances musically. im in awe of how he could create such beautiful music with so much anger and distaste in his life. can anyone relate?

I can only say that in my capacity with DCI and Drum Corps World that year, I never once heard anyone express any concerns with Phantom playing the music of Wagner. Of course, we didn't have a Drum Corps Planet then. Sometimes it seems someone will express concern at the news that a corps is going to change its socks from crew to argyle.

Wow I guess I missed that Music Lit class, I did not know that about Wagner but thanks for the Music History lesson. I love Music lit. :)

I think The Cadets got more flack for playing something "from kill bill"

Why? I had not heard that. The Bernard Herrmann music was written for the 1968 film "Twisted Nerve" and was simply appropriated by "Kill Bill."

And there's very little in the drum corps world, VERY little, that can compare with sitting in the front row of the stands while the Regiment horn line plays Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral. I can't describe what that's like. Bliss comes to mind, but it's better than that.

yes, elsa's is awesome: :music::music::music:

I think it was 2004, they played it for encores? I heard it at the show in Fairfield OH, but only after yelling for "ELSAS!!!!" for a bit after they did one number, did they pull it out. I was in heaven!