## The Kilties Full Corps Kamp! ##

WWBD

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about some updates from this camp? I hope the weather co-operated with you people in the Midwest and camp was a huge success!

JC's(the other JC) reveiw should be out shortly.So I'll leave it for him to fill every one in,on the whole weekend.

I had to work Saturday,and got to camp just as the full ensemble was wrapping up for the night.

But I got to hear Nelie Bly.,Wow.Call me biased,but I believe this years hornline is even tighter than last years.

Sunday I got to play the Water is Wide.

This song is to pay tribute to Lothar.

It's a beautiful arrangement.

How about some updates from this camp? I hope the weather co-operated with you people in the Midwest and camp was a huge success!

This is nothing formal by any means, but........excellent attendance as one note, even with some shakey weather in the area! The Kilties have up to 2 hours daily (full corps, then broken into sections for fine-tuning of the little things) of visual rehearsals headed by our new Visual Caption Head Bryan Butler.

Program Coordinator Jerry Kelsey was in for the weekend camp, and after our dinner break, he and the rest of the Kiltie staff had the brass and percussion doing full ensemble rehearsal of our opening production (Nelly Bly). The corps was playing full brass and percussion ensemble through from the upper left corner to the end, and fine-tuning tempos, etc. Great tune!!

The color guard, headed by Color Guard Caption Head Jason Foster, is really working their tails off, and Jason is defining all the caption vocabulary, going thru extensive exercises and they are really focused and looking excellent. The guard, as all sections and the corps in general, has a real sense of closeness, determination and dedication.

The percussion section is just crazy....hungry, focused, driven, young, dedicated, talented.....hard core, bad ###. They worked their behinds off under the direction of Chris Tomaloff, Jim Dittrich, and Matt Hund (front ensemble). Chris Thompson arranged the battery parts and Chris Tomaloff the front ensemble parts, all great charts. Chris Thompson will be in for our January camp.

The brass line also worked extensively on the big featured portion of our closing production (The Water is Wide). It was magnificent. It was pretty rough (emotionally) playing through it for the brass line, inasmuch, the tune is dedicated to Joel Magnuson, who passed away during The Kilties DCA prelim performance in Scranton, and is just a beautiful number, and wonderfully arranged. The brass worked several hours on that production, and again was playing through it from top to bottom by the middle of Sunday's rehearsal. Many members just broke down and wept after every pass through the number. The brass line also touched upon the intro to Norweigian Wood, our middle production.

We did full ensemble again for a couple hours on Sunday along with a great "show and tell" from the guard (wow!) to close the camp......and as always, we formally closed the camp with our slow brass ensemble version of Auld Lang Syne with percussion, guard members, staff, etc arms around another and/or holding hands to solidify the sense of our Kiltie Family.

On a social note, some of those of age wandered through the blizzard type conditions to enjoy each other's company at a local restaurant/pub after Saturdays' session.

Next Kiltie Kamp is January 14th-15th.

**HAPPY HOLIDAYS**

:)

Again not a formal report but from a percussionist's perspective this camp was extremely productive. All sections are sounding great; snares, tenors and basses alike. We worked to define our vision as to what we need to be for this corps. Then we got to the music. Warm-ups sounded good really quickly. The On the Field is going to bring the noise, the funk, the beats and the love. Our opener Nelly Bly came next and after this weekend it can be said that we are past the learning stage and diving head first into the cleaning stage. We received our cadence, though we weren't able to get to it this weekend, it will be something that will have the fans dancin’ in the streets!

When we were together for full ensemble the hornline sounded GREAT. The guard looked to be becoming a really solid cohesive unit. They were working extremely hard and it showed.

I also just want to throw some dues and propers to Bryan Butler and his marching staff. This visual program will be great.

There are limited spots available in the drumline, most specifically if you are a tenor player who can bring it.

Here’s to 2006 being an extremely productive year in plaid.

WWBD

Edited by bddavidson

thanks for the props Doug this year is already a great one

on another note ...

the hornline, drumline and guard was leaps ahead of where they were last year.. man some of this camp was better then most of my jr corps years

Drumline is going to be a whole different beast this year

the horn line is even stronger then last year

and from what I saw the whole gard was working on rifles and not looking bad at it at all ..

and visual hmm.. what can I say ..

well there going to be good ..

but there bodies are a bit sore right now!

Edited by bscontra

thanks for the props Doug this year is already a great one

on another note ...

the hornline, drumline and guard was leaps ahead of where they were last year.. man some of this camp was better then most of my jr corps years

Drumline is going to be a whole different beast this year

the horn line is even stronger then last year

and from what I saw the whole gard was working on rifles and not looking bad at it at all ..

and visual hmm.. what can I say ..

well there going to be good ..

but there bodies are a bit sore right now!

I gotta echo the kudos to the visual program. Great job Butler! I can't wait to get it out on the field.

As far as percussion goes. Friggin A! In my honest opinion a great camp. We effeciently went through a huge chunk of our music. Running through selected warm-ups from last season, plus some great new pieces. Got through the entire opener WITH front ensemble and hornline. AND getting it to a point where we could get a little picky about stuff you don't normally get to at the first rehearsal.

A lot of veterans returning (4 out of 5 basses, all 3 tenors *cough* looking for a fourth *cough*) Snare line took the largest hit of non returning members. BUT the spots were filled by some very talented individuals. Three of which are something special and am really glad to see them straping on a drum with the mighty Kilts.

As a member of the battery I can't speak on the front ensembles behalf but from what I heard Sunday they are sounding great as well. (could use a few more numbers however)

Hornline sounded great (as usual)

Guard looked great and appears to be working extremely hard.

Great Camp see you guys in January

^OO^

Yours Truly,