SCV Announces 2006 Show

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Movement I: "Chains of Reaction"

Uh-oh. Fingers crossed, but a trifle unsettled. I hope they know what they're doing. Remember, Key -- a lot of fans love to hear a melody ... not just the angry hack'n'slash, "diddly-bop," arpeggios, accents, and loud chords that we got from a lot of corps (*ahem*) in the late 90s and early 00s.

What shows are you talking about in particular? The shows SCV has been doing since 98 has been some really powerful stuff (especially 2000). So really, what was so terrible about corps in the late 90s and early 00s? I've heard plenty of melody and motifs and developments, I mean that's what music is, kind of goes without saying.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

• 2 weeks later...

Movement I: "Chains of Reaction"

Movement II: "Newton's Cradle"

What shows are you talking about in particular? The shows SCV has been doing since 98 has been some really powerful stuff (especially 2000). So really, what was so terrible about corps in the late 90s and early 00s? I've heard plenty of melody and motifs and developments, I mean that's what music is, kind of goes without saying.

I'm not talking about any of Key Poulan's shows in particular. I've loved his arrangements for SCV over the past couple of years. "Scheherazade" was the first SCV show I've thoroughly enjoyed since Mr. Royer passed. I'm just tryin' to say that whenever I hear that a corps is gonna perform an original composition, I get a little but nervous. - B) - You never know what you're gonna get!

Don't mind him. He just likes saying "hack n slash" and "diddly bop."

You got any better terms for the disjointed and lacking-in-melodic-development shows that we've been cursed with by so many corps over the past decade or so? - :rolleyes: - LOL

I'm not talking about any of Key Poulan's shows in particular. I've loved his arrangements for SCV over the past couple of years. "Scheherazade" was the first SCV show I've thoroughly enjoyed since Mr. Royer passed. I'm just tryin' to say that whenever I hear that a corps is gonna perform an original composition, I get a little but nervous. - B) - You never know what you're gonna get!

In that case, be ready to run, Forrest. :D

In that case, be ready to run, Forrest. :D

Well, you know ... it's the same as when you attend a symphony concert and listed on the program there's, like, an English horn concerto written in 1971, or maybe last week, by some composer from Iceland or Bulgaria or wherever. It might turn out to be great and you do want to try to keep an open mind, but you don't necessarily go in expecting it to be the next Great Symphonic Masterpiece. Know what I mean? :rolleyes: