SCV Announces 2006 Show

... it's the same as when you attend a symphony concert and listed on the program there's, like, an English horn concerto written in 1971...

Actually, I attended a Philadelphia Orchestra concert last spring, the repetoire included "The Walk to the Paradise Garden" by Delius - which was, needless to say, gorgeous - followed by what I believe to be the first english horn concerto written. If there's one out there, it must be very much unknown, because the soloist (who commissioned the work along with the Philly Orchestra), spoke about the work for about 5 or 10 mins before it was performed and if I remember correctly, did indicate it was a first. It was, I have to say, in my opinion, horrendous.

After intermission: Scheherazade. :rolleyes::music::grrr: The brass section was truly mind-blowing int he quality of their playing. Why the bass trombone player wasn't recognized, I have no idea.

The Philadelphia Orchestra is truly an amazing ensemble, surpassing the New York Phil, IMHO.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Movement I: "Chains of Reaction"

Movement II: "Newton's Cradle"

So is this going to be another original show? :blink:

That's what I understand to be the case. I've only heard a few of Key's original pieces for marching band...but there's more here:

:blink: :sshh:

However, I did like what he did with Teal Sound this past summer. I just don't see SCV as a corps that plays original music. That's just me though so don't tar and feather me.

Trivandrum!!

:blink:

• 4 weeks later...
Movement III: "The Sound (s) of Science"

At first glance, I thought this was a Simon and Garfunkel song. :P

It's about time a major corps played the Beastie Boys.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00002NDU...v=glance&n=5174

Who's got the ill communication?