One last thing to say about Cadets 2005

Personally, I really enjoyed The Cadets program last season. I also enjoyed the drumspeak, it was effective IMHO.

I have not really been a fan of The Cadets since the Cadets of Bergen County days. This year however, I LOVED their show (even the drumspeak). The thing I loved about it was that it was so "out there". I think a lot of people dont take into consideration just how much of a RISK it was to do this show. They could have easily crashed and burned with this concept.

no no, i didnt mean it like that, after i posted i thought about editing it, but i had to run ot catch the bus. What i meant was they could have taken it further but didnt. Plus with your comparison to the cadets playing in the ballad vs. talking... its a lot harder to articulate clearly vocalizations vs. playing them. sorry for the misunderstanding, it wasnt a cut at the cavaliers, b/c to tell you the truth, that was my favorite part of that show, (except the one guy messing up the Fight Club sequence and the guard still getting a perfect 20)...

haha and yes, i do appreciate things from all corps: quick note, just listening to Cavies 04, the backfield playingin the ballad.. OMG, thats up there with the end of PRs ballad in 91!!!! the sound is just so eerily beautiful... goosebumps baby...

You also have to think about it this way... the Cavies tried it out before the Cadets. The Cadets did it with their drumline (20 people, maybe), while the Cavaliers did it with the entire corps (about 135), while moving. I think each one had it's own challenges.

I watched their show at Semis last year, and couldn't help but notice two things. First, how great they were (best pit on the field last summer imo), and second, how there was almost no audience response during the show (especially the more bizarre moments, ie drumspeak, bjorkspeak, etc). Now I'm sure some people were getting into it, but from where I was it just seemed like everyone was sitting on their hands.

I think people still recognized the level of achievement they were seeing, as one guy walked away after watching the show muttering "It's not even close." And I agreed. But for me, this leads directly to that age-old question of playing to the judges vs. playing to the audience (or balancing between the two).

That show just created this awkward tension for the audience. Everyone politely clapped at the end, but during the show people just sat and watched.

I guess it's just "letting art be art."

:music:

Personally I thought the show was full of cheese designed to help them win. It's not something I would watch or listen to all the way through.

The crowd response was still better then what the Blue Devils received. :music:

Edited by LaSqueegee

That show just created this awkward tension for the audience. Everyone politely clapped at the end, but during the show people just sat and watched.

But see, you made that post shortly after someone else said that they LOVED the show. You can say that you were just looking at the crowd, but no one can ever judge what many thousands of people are thinking. IMO, when we look to the crowd we are very likely to see what we want to see.

Personally, I loved the show as well. Some didn't. That's fine. I didn't really care for Phantom, while others thought it was the best show of the year. One of the beautiful things about drum corps is that there is something for everyone, and it's for the sake of the minority that I hate generalizations about what the crowd thought of a show.

• Like 1

The crowd response was still better then what the Blue Devils received. :music:

Very true. I guess what I was trying to say was that to me the audience reaction to Cadets seemed subdued when you consider the fact that it was a championship-worthy performance.

And sorry for generalizing about crowd reaction, it was just my overall impression (obviously there will be specific exceptions... I was talking about in general, as a whole, etc.). I know everyone has their preferences, and I agree that it's great that drum corps fans have such a variety of tastes... it gives us a great variety of shows every year.

Edited by oboes7

Good lord this show, every time I watch the video, it grows on me more and more. It's so beautiful in terms of design and execution. Not only is that admirable but the show, it all fits together (IMO). No doubt great General effect. GENIUS design team. Absolutely genius. Loved the song selection, loved the drill, and definitely loved twisted nerve.

Gorgeous Show.

I watched their show at Semis last year, and couldn't help but notice two things. First, how great they were (best pit on the field last summer imo), and second, how there was almost no audience response during the show (especially the more bizarre moments, ie drumspeak, bjorkspeak, etc). Now I'm sure some people were getting into it, but from where I was it just seemed like everyone was sitting on their hands.

Maybe you saw me and thought I was sitting on my hands. If you did, you'd be way wrong. I might not have been screaming and yelling to your satisfaction, but that was because I was waiting to see what else the Cadets could do to amaze me. There were many moments that I felt the urge to clap or yell, but suppressed the feeling because I feared missing some great moment from the guard or drums or drill or whatever. That show had so much to watch and hear that cheering sometimes wasn't a viable option for an interested and happy fan.

Loved it.

HH

• Like 1