Turnout for ECJ camp?

Heh, it's all good. Nothing to worry about. Maybe if there weren't as many division II/III corps in the area we'd be bigger? I honestly don't know. Doesn't make sense, but it doesn't have to. But we do have Spartans not much over an hour away. And they're never impressively enormous like Blue Stars and Jersey Surf were last year. But as we find out, quantity isn't always as good as quality. That being said, we'll see what happens this year as far as numbers are concerned. The drumline I'm sure will be filled, and we did have 24 guard last year, which is a fairly decent sized one if I do say so myself. We've marched 36 brass the last two years, hopefully that will be up. In the mean time, we're gonna hit the grinder and get this done the way we have been for the past few years, that much, we can guarantee. :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I agree that fielding larger corps are great if you have the resources to do that, the simple fact is that putting 120 kids on a field in Div 2/3 isn't realistic for all organizations. Corps like Blue Stars (1990's), Americanos (1994), St. John's (1998), Mandarins (all Div 2/3 years), ECJ ect. have proven that big things can come in small packages.

The number of members has proved to be irrelevant. We need to put an emphasis toward the overall experience the members receive. The level of education, care & feeding, safety, amount of fun, and quality of the design and performance....are what matters most!

:)

as said below 'Ouch!'. No knocks on ECJ meant. I know that DCI upped membership limits to 135 which is the amount of members that fill 3 buses meaning 90 could fit on 2. I think EC marched around 80 or so members so there must be some room to squeeze in a few more brass players. Anyway as long as EC continues to pump out quality shows like past several years number of members is irrelevant competitive wise but it would still be great to have a little more punch from the brass.

Brigadier,

We would love to take you up on your offer for the 10 additional brass instruments and new bus.

You can make the check payable to:

MYS

PO Box 53

Malden,MA 02148

Thanks!

Fred Ford

East Coast Jazz

as said below 'Ouch!'. No knocks on ECJ meant. I know that DCI upped membership limits to 135 which is the amount of members that fill 3 buses meaning 90 could fit on 2. I think EC marched around 80 or so members so there must be some room to squeeze in a few more brass players. Anyway as long as EC continues to pump out quality shows like past several years number of members is irrelevant competitive wise but it would still be great to have a little more punch from the brass.

if i counted correctly (and i think i did), ECJ had 86 marching members in 05, 88 if you include the drum majors...

36 Brass

24 Guard

26 Percussion

2 DMs

so 90 would just mean two more brass players... and realistically, a bus only fits 44 since the three-seater in the back is rarely occupied by 3 people.

anyway, i'm done. i understand you weren't trying to bash ECJ. i'm sure that however many members we have, we'll put out a quality show and have fun doing it.

Thanks, we hope to be competitive each and every year. You should still send that check though!