Pioneer

New question: What do you think about if Cavies or BD played an Irish show? Would they drop out of top 12 because it is Irish music?

They might if they tried to use the same theme year after year. This is an artistic competition. Limiting your choices is limiting your chances too.

And for those who want to complain that this discussions is somehow unfair, maybe you should consider another website. This is a place to discuss drum corps. That includes speculating on what corps should and shouldn't play. Why should Pioneer, Troopers or any other corps be exempt from such a central topic of conversation?

HH

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at the scoring history of Pioneer, you really cannot blame Roman for choosing irish music. The highest the corps has placed was with irish music, the years they decide to start moving away from the irish theme, there scores went down (IE: 2000 (very Irish) to 2001 (not quite as Irish, even a jazz section)). And really they are not limiting themselves, you can take nearly any piece and put an irish twist on it and make it a whole new monster, for instance "West Side Story" which has been played a whole lot on the drum corps feild, well take that and add in some triplets here and there and give it an irish feel and you have a whole new show. That may be off the wall, but so is the Cadets and Cavies most of the time with their show ideas.

I fully expect to get flamed for this, but it's just an opinion:

While it's nice to have an identity (BD- jazz, Phantom- Classical,etc)), sometimes if one wants to move up the ladder, a shakeup is necessary.

Pioneer has yet again chosen an Irish themed show. They can obviously do whatever they wish, but they've just about milked everything they can out of the theme. Maybe it's time for Roman to get over it and allow his staff to go in another direction.

Pioneer may well be improved over last year, just as they were improved in 2005 over 2004. However, I expect another year of similar finishes (competitively speaking. I don't see them over Blue Stars).

It would be nice to see these guys take a chance and go in a different programming direction that is less limiting.

Just my $.02 worth,

Wolfgang

Well you certainly have stated your opinion....which is cool. What if Pioneer is an organization that is more interested in promoting great tradition and crowd appealing shows vrs. going for the Gold ??? I mean I thought this activity is suppose to mean more to a member than just scores, placements and trophies.

Now.....In my opinion I think Pioneer is doing exactly what they should as far as programming is concerned. I like their corps because they DO bring the fans a great Irish textured show each year (I am not Irish by the way). They have done of good job of ignoring the "Attack of the Clones" ($1.00 to George Lucas) corps trends/style who all follow each other. Instead, they stick and pass on their RICH TRADITIONS to new members every season....BRAVO

Look forward to seeing you as always Pioneer.....

Triple Forte

They might if they tried to use the same theme year after year. This is an artistic competition. Limiting your choices is limiting your chances too.

And for those who want to complain that this discussions is somehow unfair, maybe you should consider another website. This is a place to discuss drum corps. That includes speculating on what corps should and shouldn't play. Why should Pioneer, Troopers or any other corps be exempt from such a central topic of conversation?

HH

I didn't say it was an unfair discussion or that you couldn't talk about it, if that is another shot at me, I said it was disrespectful to the corps. And it is.... <**> Showing disrespect to what they want to remain true too. There is a difference in having an opinion and just coming right out and saying some of the things people are saying.

That's not being thin skinned, if you think it is, you are missing my point. Having a discussion is fine, being disrespectful, IMO isn't.

Like some have posted they aren't all about winning. I have met Mr. Roman personally and he is one class act whom I have much respect for.

I didn't say it was an unfair discussion or that you couldn't talk about it, if that is another shot at me, I said it was disrespectful to the corps. And it is....

You're entitled to your opinion.

Now tell me this. If it's fair, as you apparently believe, how could it be disrespectful?

HH

You're entitled to your opinion.

Now tell me this. If it's fair, as you apparently believe, how could it be disrespectful?

HH

The way people on here are reacting about their choice of music. That's part of their heritage and tradition.

Edited by Lancerlady

And perfectly okay to discuss and even criticize. This is a discussion board; what corps choose for their music is one of the many topics that regularly come up.

Edited by bluestarcontra

And perfectly okay to discuss and even criticize. This is a discussion board; what corps choose for their music is one of the many topics that regularly come up.

And I didn't say it wasn't, I just said it was disrespectful to me the way that some are attacking Pioneer and their choice of music, all they are doing is holding on to tradition.

When those who don't like it become directors, then they can decide what a corps will play. Until then, I'll just choose to ignore all this disrespectfulness. <**>

It's one thing to have a discussion, it's another to come right out and attack the corps for the style of music they choose.

Personally I think the choice of music selections should be up to the corps director and staff. If they want to continue to use Irish music, good for them. I am not saying I love all Irish music, but I have found many of their shows over the years very enjoyable muscially.

Now if by chance, they only had 20 or 30 kids showing up for auditions and camps, it might be time for the directors to say "wait a minute-something here isn't working" for the good of the corps future. But it seems they must still be getting members that are interested, and if there are youth out there that are wanting to perform the Irish style of music, then thank you to Pioneer for giving them that opportunity.

That is the one thing that to me is amazing about drum corps. It gives young performers an opportunity to take what they might normally be able to do only in junior high, high school or college, and take it one step further. And if every corps in quarterfinals played exactly the same music, I personally don't think that I would find that very exciting.

And if you don't feel that Pioneer has been successful that last few years since they have been placing at the bottom of D1 corps, just think about this--8-10 years ago they were placing at the top of DII along with corps like Emerald Knights/Nite Express, Tarheel Sun, Patriots, and Les Etoiles-all fantastic DII corps. Unfortunately all these other corps have folded over the last 8 years. Pioneer is still with us today, so they must be doing something right.

And to those of you who don't enjoy Pioneers show, well I guess you can take your hotdog break, or don't show at DI Quarterfinals till after the first 5 or 6 corps perform(although I have to admit I am baffled by people who buy tickets, but don't even want to see what the lower DI corps shows have to offer-often very amazing shows) Just remember- these young performers and staff work hard just like any other members of any other corps, regardless of musical choice. The members are still getting a musical education in one summertime that in my opinion is far more valuable than 4 years of high school music education.