The Rite of Spring

I would like to see a show using all three of the big ballets from Stravinsky, however, I think that it would be better with marching band than with drum corps. Believe me, nothing against corps, just that I would really like to hear woodwind sonorities in those pieces. I think certain excerpts would be exceptional for corps, though, just maybe not a whole show.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see a show using all three of the big ballets from Stravinsky, however, I think that it would be better with marching band than with drum corps. Believe me, nothing against corps, just that I would really like to hear woodwind sonorities in those pieces. I think certain excerpts would be exceptional for corps, though, just maybe not a whole show.

I'm glad someone besides ME said that! :)

The Cavaliers have used the intro to Rite of Spring as their intro in 1997 and Phantom Regiment used part of it as their closer in 2000.

If I recall correctly I think that Spirit of Atlanta was originally going to do the Rite of Spring as their show back in 1990 but canned that idea for something more fan friendly that ended up getting them back in the top 12.

Phantom Regiment almost played Rite in 94. We played it during the November audition camp, but when we returned in December, they gave us El Amor Brujo, Clair de Lune, White Witch Doctor, and Death Hunt. (no North by Northwest yet, as I recall... and the full version of Death Hunt).

The arrangemnt of Rite left some people scratching their heads. One vet said something to the effect of, "Oh no, it's Carnival of the Animals again..."

All of which makes me wonder if they're still tinkering with some of the musical selections for next summer.

I think it is awesome that stravinsky had to jump out a window so the mob didint kill him over the danm thing. I dont think it has been danced since. OMG if the color gaurd had the original costumes... there would be some hard core dancing in it. I guess if you had an AMAZING arrangment, you could do the stravinsky setting of the music, but the show is more about the story.

My memory is kinda fuzzy on this, but when they were in the original planning stages for us playing this in the 94 Phantom Regiment show, Cesario planned on everyone having slightly different uniforms (can't remember if he told the corps this or if it was just a rumor floating around with the members...) They changed the show music in December, so it became a moot point.

I dont think it has been danced since.

Oh, sure it has. It's played in concert much more than danced to, but it was just done in Chicago a few years ago, for example, with a faithful attempt to recreate Diaghilev's original, angular pagan steps, and with recreations of the original costumes. If I had a time machine, that first performance is one of those things I wish I could see.

Phantom played the now-famous "drum beat" part (ONE and TWO and THREE and FOUR and one AND two AND...) off the line in their Stravinsky medley in 1978, which is, as I've said before, the GREATEST SHOW< EVER.

IMO. YMMV.

The Argonauts played Rite of Spring in 1976. It was a hard tune to sell to the crowd and to the judges. It seems like we spent most of our time rehearsing Rite of Spring, and not the rest of the show. I’ve heard better corps play it, and it’s not a good drum corps number. I hated 1976 ^#@^%$

Edited by argonaut

I think it is awesome that stravinsky had to jump out a window so the mob didint kill him over the danm thing. I dont think it has been danced since. OMG if the color gaurd had the original costumes... there would be some hard core dancing in it. I guess if you had an AMAZING arrangment, you could do the stravinsky setting of the music, but the show is more about the story.

Actually, Stravinsky wasn't in trouble with the crowd. They were upset with Diaghilev's most primal choreography. When the music was finally performed by itself in Paris, it was a rousing success.

The ballet has been danced since in its original form and has been danced in other choreographic forms by major companies. But about the original form...

Diaghilev kept incredible copies notes about forms, arm, hand, leg, finger and toe positioning. Before he died, Robert Joffrey re-created the ballet from those notes, having to fill in maybe 20% of the movements due to a few gaps here or there. The reconstructed ballet was premiered in Chicago a few years ago a couple days after Joffrey died. I was at the second performance of the run.

I can understand why the people then were so shocked. Diaghilev's choreography was brutal and spare...lots of pounding of the feet and very threatening. I was intrigued, as it opened up a new window for me on the score, which I had to study for weeks when I was working on my masters in music composition. Seeing the reconstructed ballet was one of my most memorable highlights at the dance.

Another highlight I saw many years ago and just again a few months ago. The Joffrey (now based in Chicago) commissioned Hershey Kay to write electronic music for a Gerald Arpino production titled "The Clowns." Trust me...if you ever get a chance to see this, DO IT!!! It is life-changing. Not everyone understands it, but I was practically levitating out of my seat. Bodies dropping out of the sky to the sound of a nuclear bomb detonation, dead bodies coming to life and taking the forms of clowns, giant plastic bubbles getting bigger and bigger and eventually swallowing everyone to the surreal blinking of strobe lights inside the bubbles...weird, weird, weird and indescribably wonderful.

Actually, Stravinsky wasn't in trouble with the crowd. They were upset with Diaghilev's most primal choreography. When the music was finally performed by itself in Paris, it was a rousing success.

The ballet has been danced since in its original form and has been danced in other choreographic forms by major companies. But about the original form...

Diaghilev kept incredible copies notes about forms, arm, hand, leg, finger and toe positioning. Before he died, Robert Joffrey re-created the ballet from those notes, having to fill in maybe 20% of the movements due to a few gaps here or there. The reconstructed ballet was premiered in Chicago a few years ago a couple days after Joffrey died. I was at the second performance of the run.

I can understand why the people then were so shocked. Diaghilev's choreography was brutal and spare...lots of pounding of the feet and very threatening. I was intrigued, as it opened up a new window for me on the score, which I had to study for weeks when I was working on my masters in music composition. Seeing the reconstructed ballet was one of my most memorable highlights at the dance.

Another highlight I saw many years ago and just again a few months ago. The Joffrey (now based in Chicago) commissioned Hershey Kay to write electronic music for a Gerald Arpino production titled "The Clowns." Trust me...if you ever get a chance to see this, DO IT!!! It is life-changing. Not everyone understands it, but I was practically levitating out of my seat. Bodies dropping out of the sky to the sound of a nuclear bomb detonation, dead bodies coming to life and taking the forms of clowns, giant plastic bubbles getting bigger and bigger and eventually swallowing everyone to the surreal blinking of strobe lights inside the bubbles...weird, weird, weird and indescribably wonderful.

I'm extremely jealous. I would love to see The Rite of Spring performed as a ballet. Have any recordings been made by chance? It's just interesting to be able to actually see what caused riots at that premiere.

No one is going to play the "original" "Rite of Spring". . . we don't have the right instrumentation, or the time for that matter.

However. . . having the opportunity to have some fun with it, take the time to listen to the version done by Hubert Laws (he's an older jazz flute player for you young guys).

Interesting opportunities there for a design staff with big enough bawwlllzzzz. . . .

:worthy::unsure::worthy:

Chuck Naffier