Ok.....here we go!

good luck with competing against em....

No kidding...

And taking the gold in Division 1 1/2, Academy!

They're a great corps and got a lot going for them, but when you've got a 60+ member hornline with pretty much all college kids, you aren't really competing with anyone.

Edited by MagicBobert

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I swear, come August, if someone beats Academy or even comes close to them I'm going to revive this thread and harass you relentlessly. I just can't believe you're that quick to write off every other division 2 corps in the nation. There is literally no way you can predict a corps placement in November; so many things can change from now until August. Let the corps (plural) do their talking on the field. They don't need people like you talking them up on online forums.

Edited by TTitans909

I swear, come August, if someone beats Academy or even comes close to them I'm going to revive this thread and harass you relentlessly. I just can't believe you're that quick to write off every other division 2 corps in the nation. It's just kind of funny. There is literally no way you can predict a corps placement in November. Let the corps (plural) do their talking on the field. They don't need people like you talking them up on online forums.

I to, will relentlessly harass people... just because I never really get to, and that seems like a good thing to harass someone over.

~>conner

Guys it's Drum Corps. There is going to be competition. You can't honestly say that Academy is going to win with no competition.... get real. How about surf??

Agree on both points,

There is no way that there will be no competition in DII this year. I fully believe that nothing can be set in stone determined based on numbers turnouts at camps alone, let alone predict an undefeated (Let alone unchallanged) season.

Also agree with the surf thing (as posted earlier). To not go outside my earlier statement, I believe the top 5 isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Edited by BucsBuff

I swear, come August, if someone beats Academy or even comes close to them I'm going to revive this thread and harass you relentlessly. I just can't believe you're that quick to write off every other division 2 corps in the nation. There is literally no way you can predict a corps placement in November; so many things can change from now until August. Let the corps (plural) do their talking on the field. They don't need people like you talking them up on online forums.

well i think we will be able to tell when the competiting starts how things go, and whats gonna happen when they do win, will people get to harass you relentlessly? this is bascially just like football, people make predictions in the preseason, is there something wrong with people making predictions that academy will go all the way....im sure you, yourself have made predictions on sports teams in the preseason so why can't everybody else?

Wow, you people are annoying. 3 corps if I'm not mistaken (Blue Stars, Surf, OC) had around 60+ horns. I mean granted MOST of the people who have posted in this thread that Academy is going to win outright are people with very little experience in drum corps. For those who have been marching for 4-5 years, you all should know better. And those who have been around drum corps for a long time definitely should know that anything can and will happen finals week.

I mean with all respect to the raiders, I really did not expect them to win after Taipei beat them by what over two points in prelims? But it happens. 96 Phantom surging finals week to a championship? Vanguard placing 8th in a year so many predicted them to win division I? Anyone remember what Seattle Cascades accomplished in the early 00's? I wasn't expecting that myself, but man was I glad they tore it up. Magic 02? question will academy be Magic 02? Are you really going to go that far and compare them to Magic of Orlando from 2002 when there really was no competition? and by no competition I mean no way Capital Regiment (who had a more enjoyable show in my eyes) could have possibly come within a point or two of Magic. If that's what you're saying, I will be more than glad to respect your opinions until August when finals come.

I'm sorry, it's just annoying. Give some respect to those corps who have been competing for years at a consistantly high level. None of us know what's going to happen, but I do know that most corps who hype and ones that people hype for generally don't deliver what is basically promised at the beginning of the season (ECJ 04, Blue Stars 05, SCV 05). So in any case, let the corps do their talking on the field this summer.

I predict the winner of D2 will be the corps with the highest score...............

I predict the winner of D2 will be the corps with the highest score...............

Good call...

My problem isn't with people predicting that Academy's going to win. They're entitled to their own opinion, and it certainly appears that Academy will be one of many corps with a chance to win Division II this year. My problem is with people who suggest that there will be absolutely no competition, that Academy will blow everyone out of the water, that all the other corps might as well stop working now because they have no chance. Not only is that a disservice to other programs out there, but it's simply foolish. The only real example of there being no competition for a title in drum corps was with Magic in 02. Of course they were a corps coming back from folding after being a finals-level division 1 corps... It's not altogether surprising they destroyed Division 2.

Only five corps in history have gone undefeated: 1982 BD, 1994 BD, 2000 Cadets, 2002 Cavaliers and Magic. The only ones that can truly claim to blow away the competition were 02 Cavies and Magic. Now I personally don't believe that Academy's 2006 show design is going to be on par with 2002 Cavies' show design (frankly, I don't think many corps have come close to touching that show design.. certainly none in division 2 this year or any year). Academy also doesn't have the long-running tradition and experience that Magic of Orlando had coming back in 2002. I mean this as no insult to Academy, but comparing the experience of a Four-time DCI Division 1 Finalist to a corps that hasn't even attended finals yet seems a little foolish (once again, that's pretty much true of all div 2 corps). Academy very well may win Division 2 this year. It wouldn't be the most shocking thing that has happened to the drum corps. I just don't think that, given the competitive nature of this activity and the ups and downs that go along with it, they will blow every other division 2 corps out of the water. Good luck to Academy and all the corps competing this year. I hope we make this another Division 2 year to remember.