Weather Problems?

U.S. Open-1973, the year of the monsoons during Open Class finals.

Blue Rock twice starts their show then gets called off because of the storm. The third time, it opens up on them again, the judges wave them off the field, but by this time the corps is so p###ed off they ignored the signal and kept on going.

:laugh: Take that, judges!!!

They played a monster of a show and almost to a person, the crowd stayed in the stands till the end of their show,giving them a thunderous ovation before everyone bailed out to their cars etc...

^OO^ :laugh::wub::wub:

Three's a charm!

Edited by dmfootworks

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

U.S. Open Class FInals 1977, show started at 6:30 p.m. and finished at 3:00am!!!

Start and stop rain all night !!

We were just about to start our show and the judges told us to run for cover, they did, so we did too !!!

Another GREAT CROWD in MARION !!! b**bs :laugh: b**bs :laugh: b**bs :wub:

Geez, I miss that show !!!! :P B)

2003 finals weekend was a mess

Quarterfinals in 2004 had some pretty strong wind...you can hear it in the recordings even.

Ahha, you mentioned what I was going to. Quarters was crazy, but was only truly insane for the lucky first few corps to go on. I saw Pioneer perform, and I don't know HOW they did it. The winds were out of control, and so many hats went flying I can't believe the kids were able to keep going! Props to those 04 Pioneer kids, they sold that show even with mother nature trying to scream them off of the field... I even cried during their ballad, and when that Irish flag went waving.... <shiver>

On the DCA side 1975 Championships was the worst IMO. Crusaders were chased off the field in the middle of their show and had to start over again. Show was stopped again later and the field was slick for the last four corps in a tight three corps race. Then the heavens opened up for the third time and the scores were announced to an empty field during a monsoon.

Also in the 80s Prelims was pushed back a day and, in another year, Finals was cancelled and the Prelims scores determined the champion.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari