Penalties

In 1986, when the Knights played our classic-rock show, we used a set of Simmons pads, two mikes (for the vibes and marimba) and a sound board, all controlled by me at the timps. We took a voluntary 2-point penalty at every DCM show for the first three weeks, then scrapped the electronics when we were informed that DCI (and DCM) might DQ us from every show since the use of electronics was still verboten technically. So I had to learn half a new book in a weekend.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1987 DCI South Finals - Phantom Regiment is penalize 0.1 for going over on allowed time on the field. PR lost DCI South finals to BD by 0.1

1989 DCI Qtr Finals - SCV is penalized 0.2 for masks that were blown over by the winds and crossed the back sideline. PR wins Qtr finals by 0.1. Penalty is later removed (after all corps have left the stadium). SCV wins Qtr finals by 0.1

There may be more of yall out there who can credit this legend a little better than I can, but I guess the reason that the Troopers didn't make it into finals in 1995 was because they got a penalty---for beating the #### out of someone who broke their ranks at a previous show in Stillwater, MN.

I have never gotten to the bottom of what actually happened, even as a member of the Trooper organization...

any insights?

The Anaheim Kingsmen were "rewarded" with, if memory serves me correctly, a 13 point pentalty for reporting one day late for prelims at the US Open in Marion, Ohio. The staff thought the corps was scheduled to report on day 2 of prelims when they actually were scheduled the day before. This huge pentalty placed them almost dead last in prelims, however, they went onto win the finals! A true story.

How were they in finals if they were almost dead last in prelims? In other words, what were they doing competing in finals?

Did they win the year before?

Edited by LancerFi

Going back years there were penalties for inspection. Before we took the line we were inspected for conformity and neatness. My wife was penalised a point because she wasn't declaired. Having broken her arm earlier in the year, she still couldn't straighten her arm, and because it was bent alittle they got a penalty. You wouldn't believe it today but once if ANY equipment (other than bottom of flag poles, or butts or rifles, or tips of sabors) touched, or was placed on the ground it was 1/10 a penalty. If you stepped off the field, penalty. These were just SOME of the things that could hurt you, so you did all you could to keep from getting them.

Big Daddy Penalty of them all:

1976- In Sevierville, TN the Crossmen were disqualified from all DCI competition for the rest of the season. Apparently they had a few over aged members (as the story goes, this was common place back then). The Crossmen decided to finish the season in exhibition, all the way to DCI champs. No placement, no trophies, just performance. This may have killed any other second year corps, but the Crossmen returned in 1977 to make finals for the first time, finishing 11th place.

:mmm: :mmm: :mmm:

In the last DCH (Drum Corps Holland) Finals in 1999 (KNFM took their job over after that year) Johan Friso was announced winning the cadet class because Jong Beatrix (beatrix' cadet corps) got some penalty's which still isn't very clear to me why we've got them, but our staff went to the judges and asked their story. Later that night was announced that it had become a tie. We did win, but they thought it's sad to take the 1ste place away from the other corps (it's cadet class, so it would've been sad). Later that night we were offered a chance to do our encore-performance during the open class finals.