Promoting Camaraderie Among Corps

After reading the thread about the friendship between Spirit and Crossmen, I started thinking about what could be done to promote a more "drum corps family" atmosphere among corps. I realize that while on tour, corps are focused on working very hard at cleaning up their "act" so they can perform the most near perfect show they possibly can by August. But maybe cultivating friendships and providing opportunities during tour to get to know our fellow corps should be considered as a common characteristic of the drum corps activity as well.

Perhaps each corps could choose another corps with a similar tour schedule and pick one "day off" day of the entire summer tour (maybe after laundry, if necessary) to get together at a nice park or beach and organize games to play (mixing up each corps and its members) and share food, etc. Another suggestion might be that sometime before tour, make it a drum corps tradition that each "sister corps" trade and learn each other's corps song and perform it for each other after a show a couple of times during the summer. Yes, I know there are noise ordinances, so the venue would have to be far enough away from homes.

I don't know, maybe this is a lame idea, but it just seems to me that all corps are so busy working and traveling that something may be missing in this youth activity. It's like we're all doing the same thing and going to the same places (you know what I mean), yet we don't take a well earned break once in a while to get to know and enjoy each other a little. It seems like creating and organizing opportunities to strengthen our activity and each other with the bond of friendship and camaradarie is all but sadly neglected. Just my thoughts.

Edited by GuitarMan

I know what you meen there man and I accually think that could be a prety cool idea, especially the free day thing. A laundry day would be prety difficult to pull off since there are many many times on tour where a laundromat is barely big enough for one bus, yet alone two corps. Accually something as simple as two corps sharing a snack after a show can go a long way towards this, even if it's just on a one-season basis. When I was with Spirit in 02 (at least I'm prety sure it was 02) we did this with the Cavaliers early in the season. It didn't lead to the level of closeness that we have with the Crossmen, but the two corps have a prety good relationship including having some of the same design staff.

As for two corps learning eachothers songs, prety cool idea and one that Spirit and Crossmen did a couple of the years I was there. I still think that our combined playing of Georgia after the Philly show in 02 was the loudest thing that I have ever been a part of.

I think this would be a wonderful idea. There are days during the summer where I tend to forget that there are thousands of other people going through what I am going through, not just my corps. It would be nice to meet some of them...swap stories even. :) It would be a nice break from routine.

I know that sometimes it is hard to pull off, but often corps are at least willing to pull together and hang out with one another. in 2003 at Lincoln Way ( I'm pretty sure that's in Illinois) both the cavaliers and the kavaliers held a snack/dinner for Magic and Lake Erie who were having food truck issues at the time. It was a great time to meet a lot of new people and enjoy A LOT of good food. I feel like I may be missing a few corps who participated in the event, so if anyone remembers more, please feel free to add.

Its true, sometimes we do get so competitive and forget that theres people going through exactly what we are. I often make a few friends from different pits, but never get the chance to relax with a whole other corps. It would be a great thing to organize.

DIV 2/3 used to have a picnic with all corps (or most) during finals week. There were competitions such as "push the bus" and a big combined picnic dinner. Maybe they don't do this since DIV 2/3 finals is on Saturday instead of midweek now?

As a former corps director I used to take every possible opportunity to expose the members to other corps off the field. We used to have picnics, clinics together or just do a combined snack after a show. Its not that difficult. The II/III picnic was great but it went by the wayside because of lack of participation, very weak!

I am going to do my little part, and help a different corps for a week in 2006. (I get to help on tour for 5 weeks in the summer) The plan is to share recepies, and other cook truck ideas.

That is a cool thing about being a corps volunteer.

In the last 4 years, I honestly never get time to get to know Cadet members (they are always busy doing their thing(, but at show sites, I meet lots of staff from other corps....when time permits.

This should be a lot of fun (and work)