This is who we are!

This has probably been a topic before but I would like to revisit it! What particular show for you, conveys your perception of the attitude of the corp?

For me:

1994 Bluedevils- The way this show developes and then totally takes off shows the attitude that I had about the Bluedevils during my tenure. " You're all playing for second" and the way the show ends is just a reminder that " Was there any doubt that we are the best"!

1996 Phantom- This show for me really states the attitude of Phantom, redemption for the many years of barely missing the mark. The way the Contra's start the show, and how it slowly builds into this magnificent brass sound full of power. "We finally put it all together"

Obviously there are songs that define the corp with 27th Danny boy, Madisons Malaguana but what I'm looking for here is the entire show!

Your thoughts please...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1991 Cadets -- They showed some risk with the insane Jeremiah piece in 1985, the lack of guard in 1986, and the intense explorations of single pieces of music in 1987 and 1988...

But in 1991, with the eclectically metered Short Ride and the interesting guard equipment, the story-telling ballad, and a jazzy piece that was out of character of the post-1981 Cadets...1991 was THE risky show for them, and certainly no 1st place show...but to me it defines The Cadets.

1999 Blue Devils -- For me, this show defines the current era of the Blue Devils...fast, loud, a bit disjointed, the guard from ####, and a brass line that will send you packing...

2002 Cavaliers -- No need to really explain this one I guess...the current Cavies strive to wow us with drill moves, an athletic guard, and a brass line with the intonation and blend that everyone strives for.

1993 Phantom Regiment -- Great brass sound built from the bottom, expansive and precise drill and marching, great percussion book...that is Phantom.

1999 Madison Scouts -- Balls-to-the-wall as ever, but they told us they don't have to play Latin or big band to be The Men From Madison...a and a guard to drool over and exciting drill to boot

2004 SCV -- This is a tough one for me, because SCV has reinvented itself quite a bit in the past. You could certainly call 1997-2000 'the intense years', with 02-03 neirly so...but in general we know them as theatrical (88-91, for example)...so I guess 2004's show took a pretty intense piece of music, but built the theatrics back in...best of both worlds.

2003 Crown -- Most may probably agree 2003 was the start of the 'new Crown'...the Crown that really strives to design a show to highlight their current strengths, really try to make a complete package of a show, thematically and the corps itself. 'Bellissimo' did just that.

ok tired of this now...

I like your choices of BD 1999 and Cavaliers 2002 for the current character of the corps. I was actually thinking of both of those shows before I read your post, but wasn't sure if I should mention them. My reason is that it seems to me you could pick different shows for different eras. BD 1999 wouldn't really represent the corps as they existed 1976-86. Nor would Cavaliers 2002 necessarily represent even the corps as it was pre-2000.

For me, 1999 BD belongs to the era defined by their 1994 program. 2001 was the start of their current era and style IMO.

I like what the topic starter said about BD, and I miss how they have lost that certain swagger they used to have, the over the top confidence they exuded. The "so who's gonna place second tonight" attitude.

Hm, you may be right, I see your point. I thought about 2001 also, but 1999 jumped out at me for some reason...

These may not all be shows that I like

Defining shows

1989 Santa Clara Vanguard

1990 The Cadets

1991 Star of Indiana

1996 Phantom Regiment

2000 Santa Clara Vanguard

2002 The Cavaliers

2003 Blue Devils

You have Vanguard twice :P

i can see how both would be legitimate choices, though. And this goes back to my earlier post, that corps have different a different character during different eras. Certainly the Vanguard of 1997-2003 had a different personality than Vanguard of the 80's.

Edited by Maedhros

I loved SCV 99 and 00 equally and thought they were both great shows.

But the fact that the drill was kinda dirty in SCV99 was eh...

For me it's the Knights' 1985 show, "Jesus Christ Superstar." There was no overt Chrisian message in it, and we didn't literally tell the story of the Passion according to Matthew on the field, but we hit the emotional high points in the musical, and the corps as a unit bonded like no other I was ever a part of. Most Knights people think this show is the msot emotional the corps (or any other corps) ever produced, and I still think it's the best small-corps show ever designed.