Minimalist shows...workable for Division I?

Didn't Carmel High School do a show based on a Gorecki piece? Not sure how minimalist Gorecki is but I've seen him listed with Adams and Glass in some cases.

Yes!

I actually marched that show, which certainly helps to explain why I like the idea of minimalism on the field so much. :)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all who is calling Star 93 minimalism is completely wrong. I consider that music to be more ecletic. I put Samuel Barber and Bela Bartok in a category with Ives and Messian.

I would like the see more minimalism in shows. "Clapping Music" would be a great front ensemble feature or a great transitional piece. "This is Prophetic" from "Nixon in China" is a great minimalist ballad. "Short Ride on a Fast Machine" has already made a name for itself in the Drum Corps world. Acording to corpreps, no one has played any Reich's music. He writes some good stuff for guitar ensemble that could easily become a percusion feature. Although, it is very tough to do without sampling and would be really redundant, I think it would be really cool to hear two marimbas do "Piano Phase" by John Cage(???). Correct me if I am wrong. I need to dig up the Burkhart Anthology for that one.

I understand that minimalism can be very redundant since we tend to rely on the harmonic stucture to move us emotionally in a show. But there is one aspect of minimalism that makes it what it is and that is the rhytmic variety. So I think it would be most effective and accepted if performed by the rhythm masters, the percusion section.

Acording to corpreps, no one has played any Reich's music. He writes some good stuff for guitar ensemble that could easily become a percusion feature.

Electric Counterpoint immediately springs to mind.

I love minimalism, Glass especially. The repetative nature isn't always bad, but sometimes can lose impact since theres only around 11 minutes for a show. Minimalism translates extremely well for corps, but the pieces have to be picked with much care. The real task lays on the arranger. I'm currently designing a show around Glass's "Naqoyqatsi" and "Itaipu". Simply amazing music, just gotta cut out 90% of the repetition.

PS. the term minimalism is a horrible way to describe this music(well most of it) LOL

I love minimalism, Glass especially. The repetative nature isn't always bad, but sometimes can lose impact since theres only around 11 minutes for a show. Minimalism translates extremely well for corps, but the pieces have to be picked with much care. The real task lays on the arranger. I'm currently designing a show around Glass's "Naqoyqatsi" and "Itaipu". Simply amazing music, just gotta cut out 90% of the repetition.

PS. the term minimalism is a horrible way to describe this music(well most of it) LOL

This is true. Glass doesn't even call himself a minimalist, and hates the term.

I just bought a CD that would be really perfect for this thread. Check out The Gorecki String Quartets, performed by Kronos. Quasi una Fantasia would make for some great field music, particularly the second and fifth movements!