Minimalist shows...workable for Division I?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star's show comes closest to me, and 128 people, with a pit doubled for instrumentation, and all those drum changes and the expansive drill, it isn't exactly minimalism anymore. It was great, but not really "minimal" in any way.

Edited by tommytimp

I hope not. I don't really consider Star 93 minimalist...although that was the closest. I don't like minimalism at all. Just something about it rubs me the wrong way, and I'm usually open to different kinds of music. But I really didn't like it when I played it in band, and I never liked hearing anyone else play it. So if it ends up on the field, chances are, even though it's drum corps, i'm not going to like it. But that's just me.

I agree. I see a lot of people say that Star was an example of minimalism. Not really, the design team was just staying true to the source music, which was chamber ensemble like and not very loud. Of course some corps have taken chamber music and have done the exact opposite of the original intentions (SCV 00), making it all balls-to-the-walls drum corps power music, and that's all well and good, Star just happened to stay true to the source.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

I hope not. I don't really consider Star 93 minimalist...although that was the closest. I don't like minimalism at all. Just something about it rubs me the wrong way, and I'm usually open to different kinds of music. But I really didn't like it when I played it in band, and I never liked hearing anyone else play it. So if it ends up on the field, chances are, even though it's drum corps, i'm not going to like it. But that's just me.

What minimalist music have you played, just out of curiosity

The one that sticks out in my head is "In C".......I heard this done with many different groups as "experiments" and even at some high playing this just did not sound good.

Actually, yes. They have it on their marching band's website, even. It's not the BEST quality, but it's something. www.pcmb.net Go to scrapbook

Just hearing the show doesn't really do it justice, IMHO. If you ever get the chance, pick up the video! I think that this is a show that epitomizes the good things about BOA.

The one that sticks out in my head is "In C".......I heard this done with many different groups as "experiments" and even at some high playing this just did not sound good.

In C? Who is this by? Just because some yo-yo happened to make a mediocre piece and slapped the minimalism tag on it doesn't mean an entire movement should be shot down.

I'm still waiting for some corps to tackle Einstein On The Beach. Now that vocals are allowed.

"We could get some wind for the sailboat"

The Knee Plays could probably work pretty well. It would weird people out, but who cares.