Blue Knights - All Barber in 2006

fifer

I would like to hear a different look at the Essays for orchestra, the first symphony, or some vocal music. I think vocal music provides a great template for drum corps arrangements, being that like a choir of voices, a full brass line is composed of different parts with similar timbres, sounding in different ranges. For some purists, it won't follow the composer's original intent, but it does make for some great music!

Honestly, I agree with you on composer intent.. but aside from the composers who've written specifically for the drum corps idiom.. what composer ever intended for their music to be adapted for the football field?

I'm still holding out a hope that someone will someday see the opportunity and take bits of Barber's "Knoxville, Summer of 1914" or even some of his Hermit Songs and adapt them for drum corps..

Maybe someday..

Stef

About the discussion...I heard something, but it sounds like it was done purposely, like a trick to sound like the bottom voices reverberate through the stadium after the release.

No. If it was all the tubas, I might be able to understand, but its a BASS DRUM. That logic would make no sense.

I don't know how you guys are "sort of" hearing this. It's in the finals recording. Cut, boom boom (like 2 more eighth notes on 1, maybe 2 bass drums).

I will have to listen for that.

Michael, that isn't all the Barber that has been played by finalists. :blink:

Are you going to keep us in suspense?

I meant to mention "Division I finalists."

I find it rather silly to suggest that SCV's arrangement was somehow not faithful to the original because of the build. Both the full orchestra version and the choral version written by Barber himself have huge crescendos to the upper limits of the ensemble...even the string quartet version usually peaks out near the top end of the volume range possible.

Could you write a more delicate arrangement of the piece? Yes, but I see no reason to believe that is somehow more faithful to Barber's intent. Compressing the piece to 2-3 minutes is far more unfaithful to the composer's intent.

• 1 month later...
no adagio for bk in 2006 ....

not necessarily a bad thing...