working on the indoor drum tuning

Ape

For the upcoming winter season, I 'm curuous that how many method for tunning and cound creating for the indoor drums?

For Snares, as similar as the outdoor drumline, there 're more than 20 sounds of snaredrum just from the DCI Div i !!, some so dry, some so wet, some so high and some so low. How could we do for 13" snare for indoor. In Thailand, one of the most famous and powerful percussion instructor says that..." In America, people use newspaper for muting the snare in an indoor drums. With the paper, the air inside it will not be able to move down to the bottom head and shell as much as it could with out the paper. So, the result ou 'll get is the short and clear snare sound, none of resonance will disturb during indoor performance. Also for Basses, put much more paper in the bigger size of them until you love it." I don't againts this method, just curious how 's others idea and what will you guys do for indoor performance.

Basses, I wused to tune the basses with EVAN head and semms very easy to control it with indoor using. Though we use 18" for the smallest one, we still able to hear the tone and none of overtone inside the gym. I put NOTHING but the foam given from EVAN head and tuned it exttremely gigh to make the head harder and let the foam harder touch the surface. On the bottom, add one and ah quater of YAMAHA foam round the head next ot the foam from EVAN. We can't use 28" or more for Thai students, it 's too heavy for them to march comfortly. I tune the 26" one as low as it can and foaming it as I said to make it "sherter" and kick just and the big attack of the line. How 's the opinion of what I do and other process to work with the basses?

Tener, For me I love the overtone of the head just as the timp sound. The same famous instructor put lot of tapes and pieces of cloths under the head on the position that you will never play on it ( almost 2 oclock on the right drums) te tener sounds "thick". We can hear the sond of mallets attack on the head clearly with out the tonal behind. How to deal with the tenerline for indoor percussion?

I just curious, any method you do, did, have done, had done, heard is ok. If you can give me some support of how is it, like or dislike, it could be great.

Thanks guys

• 1 month later...

Evans heads seem to work well indoors with a complete ring of foam around the heads. Basses are hard to project indoors. Luckily our show is geared toward performing in the Nutter Center for WGI Finals. it is a very dry sounding arena and about as close to playing outdoors as a gym can be.

I have never used newspaper inside a drum for muffling before. What we are doing for the indoor line I work with this year is use the Evans MX White on top w/ an Evans mylar bottom head and staccato disc inside the drum. Pearl snares come with 154 strands on the botom and that tends to be too wet indoors. We actually removed the center 6 strands, leaving 8 snares on the bottom in 2 grouping of 4 each. This signifcantly dried up the sound.

For tenors, I definitely recommend agsint putting tape on the heads. We have used drums that are several years old and originally belong to Music City Mystique. They are early prototypes of the articulite series so the tenors have shells that are not as deep as outdoor drums. We just use the Evans MX tenor heads on those and crank them fairly high but not too much and they sound fin indoors.

• 3 weeks later...

we're using a Remo prototype head for the bass with a unique application of foam that covers the head inside. dried them up nicely.

tshirts inside the snares work well.

for tenors, really, the only thing that worked was careful selection of implements