Mean judges

Ok when i marched (years and years ago) our 1st show of the season was a flop, after the show our percussion instructior sat us all down to listen to the comments for the next 12 and half minutes, we got nothing but verbal abuse of him, he used words like " OK the whole percussion are sending me to sleep time for me to get a sandwich" and "guys its time to go to the drawing board", after those comments our confidence was serioulsy knocked after that, anyone here have any stories from there time marching.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not from drum corps, but from a marching band I was doing visual for... small group, not all that competative, and the judge just happened to be my former HS band director. But his exact words... "This is horrible" <**>

"Um... well.... OK.... There are so many things to talk about here, I can't really say anything."

<turns off tape>

In high school, my sophomore year...our drumline (I played snare) was very good, but the brass left a lot to be desired...and one drum judge said 'You guys are doing very well...especially considering...what's going on around you...' ouch... not flat out mean, but certainly not nice.

" OK the whole percussion are sending me to sleep time for me to get a sandwich"

That's really horrible.

"Um... well.... OK.... There are so many things to talk about here, I can't really say anything."

<turns off tape>

But I think that silence might be worse. At least the first comment shows that the judge CARES even a little.

I was not a part of this band, but have heard about the tape... very tricky drill move, one person slipped and fell, and probably 10-12 others fell down over top of him...

One judge said, in an extremely sarcastic tone, "oh i love the domino effect here, really connects with the music" or something along those lines. :music:

hahaha...awesome stuff...all the tapes ive heard (and i have the dca feild percusion tape from scranton) have been nice...but i still cant figure out what "balance problems in the snare segment inparticular" means

After learning new work the day before a show, we were a little confused the night of. The guard judge's responce to our less than confident performance:

"Are you guys supposed to have that look of.........ummm........bewilderment?"

Edited by FlagForever

In 1986, when we had just signed a contract with Sabian for brand-new, gorgeous (and free!) cymbals, one judge said our China-boy cym in the pit "sounded like a garbage can." A brand-new China. What does one do with that kind of, ahem, "critique?"

In 1989 my high school band did a contest with judges on the field. We finish out our opener and the on field music judge walked right behind me. I had some mexican food that night and was full of gas. As he walked right behind me I decided to leave him a little present and let a good one rip. I then heard him say "that's the best tone I've heard on this field yet".

Needless to say, I had to keep the tape and still listen to it for a good laugh to this day. You can hear my fart quite well on the tape too.

Edited by torn8o