Phoenix

I was at both 1975 and 1976 DCA and sat in the back stands because we didn't make finals. All I remember from retreat both years is:

1975 - No retreat as the Rochester monsoon went over during that time.

1976 - Members of another corps walked in late during retreat. Someone else said two guys were holding hands to #### off one of the instructors. (Won't say which corps but it wasn't Phoenix.)

As for the booing, was also told it was Crusader fans booing but BFD whoever it was. 1975 was one of my favorite years and this is one of my favoite shows.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the soprano players urinated. Some were drinking...that still happens on retreat, and honestly we werent in parade formation. There wasn't much discipline on retreat. Some people...(me included) were late coming to the field, we didnt realize retreat had started. :blink:

Like was said by Ray...it was 30 years ago. The guy that pee'ed is a very successful person in real life now. Let it go!

Dang thats rough.

I saw some Pg-13 rated stuff at Retreat this year by one corps that I wish I would not have seen,,but such as life.

One of the soprano players urinated. Some were drinking...that still happens on retreat, and honestly we werent in parade formation. There wasn't much discipline on retreat. Some people...(me included) were late coming to the field, we didnt realize retreat had started. :worthy:

Like was said by Ray...it was 30 years ago. The guy that pee'ed is a very successful person in real life now. Let it go!

30 years ago..yah that would be aboot right!! When we made our annual trek to Rochester for the DCA's...Wow I just listened to the recording...and you know....I would really like to hire that Brass line...no disrespect..but I am sure if I had those guys (okay some of the drummers too..although I want to be in the line) Today..that brass line would kick a**...hey I am an oldie.but wow!!! marching or not...#### I played in the best standstill corps in the freakin world!!! "Happy New Year...ALL" b**bs

Both those sound files are great!! I was at DCA's in '76 at Hollander Stadium as a spectator - my very first DCA contest - and still have some great memories of that show. While I don't remember much about retreat, I'm sure it wasn't much worse/better than what was going on in the crowd. I was a "mature" lookng 16 year old at the time and do recall developing a taste for the Gennie Cream Ale they sold in the stands. Unfortunately, I missed every fourth corp.

A quick question for anyone in the know - the arrangement of "Light My Fire" seems identical to the one De LaSalle used a few years before. Was that a Fabrizio chart as well?

Yes Corky Fabrizio penned both of those charts...same chart I am sure.

Donny

In 1982 the Renegades (A Rochester-Lockport based junior corps) played the same arrangement although I believe it was changed slightly. I do remember that there were over 60 brass players up until June until a fight began with some horn players and a co-director. Firebird/Light My Fire actually was played cleaner. I had a recording of the show thanks to Ken Kobold but have since lost it.

Phoenix did sound awesome on that recording though. Was that DA and Boots up in the stratosphere?

In 1982 the Renegades (A Rochester-Lockport based junior corps) played the same arrangement although I believe it was changed slightly. I do remember that there were over 60 brass players up until June until a fight began with some horn players and a co-director. Firebird/Light My Fire actually was played cleaner. I had a recording of the show thanks to Ken Kobold but have since lost it.

Phoenix did sound awesome on that recording though. Was that DA and Boots up in the stratosphere?

Yes but dont forget about Dick Bargy!!!!

Donny

Yes but dont forget about Dick Bargy!!!!

Donny

A blast from the past!!!

Ron Woodcook, Rich Ranalli, Junior Lorini, the late Chas. Tagliamonte, Fred Shubert, etc.

Baris wailed...Uncle Benny..Sugar Bear, Butch Guarno, Hutch, etc. :rolleyes: