Alumni Corps- for has beens or just having fun ?

ea1974

1. There is no such thing as a Drum Corps has-been. It is a like giant family, once you are part of it, you "one of us"

2. Now as someone from a younger generation looking at one of the alumnis that still use the mylar heads and valve/slide, I can appreciate every note they play and am glad to see it. Do I criticize them for not adapting to what I know, absolutely not, they are still a part of that "family" With the constant critism of calling corps in Bb a band, do people stop to think of the effects of their action? Lets say someone in the area was away marching a junior corps in Bb, and all they return to hear is, "You guys were pretty good for a band" Does that make them want to be a part of that organization? Absolutely not. Whats even worse, is there is a website that criticizes modern soloists, saying the activity has went to crap. Without these modern soloists, there would be no activity.

3. I'm glad that Riggie has been mentioned, I first met him at Butler Vaggies where he was the brass guy. What a class act, he is what Drum Corps is all about. It was an honor to do the Alumni show in 2004 with him.

I read it in a sig here a while back, I don't remember who wrote it, but it said

"Bb or G? It Doesn't matter, It is the people and the relationships that make Drum Corps special."

Derek

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, an Alumni Corps is a TRIBUTE to the Corps itself, and to ALL the members who ever marched in that corps.

It's also a way of showing the fans - "this is how we were, and we're back to "give back" to the activity and to our honored Drum Corps.

In short, it's a good way for the participants to say to everyone -

WE MATTERED!

And we want to HONOR OUR CORPS AND THOSE WHO CAME BEFORE US, THOSE WHO PARTIPATE IN OUR CORPS TODAY, AND GIVE TRIBUTE TO THOSE WHO FOLLOW.

And that's so very true! At least it is for me!

Yep, this one is a keeper.....

Have another thought on that but need to hear from other Alumnis whose competative corps was never "overly successful". :wall: The Lancers were never a big name corps like Cabs, Y-Rs, etc so most of our performances and members are from the local area. As a result besides upholding DC tradition and pride we also represent Hanover whenever we perform. Think the term I heard is "Hanovers Musical Ambassadors". Best way I can describe the feeling is we're a "Town Drum Corps" instead of a "Town Band".

Any Manchester Muchachos, Springfield Marksmen or other non big name Alumnis care to chime in on local pride bit?

Yep, this one is a keeper.....

Have another thought on that but need to hear from other Alumnis whose competative corps was never "overly successful". :blink: The Lancers were never a big name corps like Cabs, Y-Rs, etc so most of our performances and members are from the local area. As a result besides upholding DC tradition and pride we also represent Hanover whenever we perform. Think the term I heard is "Hanovers Musical Ambassadors". Best way I can describe the feeling is we're a "Town Drum Corps" instead of a "Town Band".

Any Manchester Muchachos, Springfield Marksmen or other non big name Alumnis care to chime in on local pride bit?

I hadn't participated in drum corps for 35 years until I was contacted in early 2004 about a reunion show. I attended the organizational meeting and met many friends and former foes from my old drum corps days. You could sense a bond was beginning amongst us that very first day. Most people in attendance that day were in the same boat I was, no drum corps activity in 30 plus years. We accomplished our goal of a one-time performance in less than 3 short months. However, we had so much fun and pride in what we were doing we decided to keep it going and have put out a very good product. I wish we had gotten together years ago.

Has beens and wannabes?

I find them both offensive discriptions of drum corps lovers.

It's always been THE most rewarding and remarkably exciting past times I have ever been around. Weather I was watching or participating.

I don't care how good you are. WE are all in this for pretty much the same reason. It's in our blood.

Let's not loose sight of that.

Has beens and wannabes?

I find them both offensive discriptions of drum corps lovers.

It's always been THE most rewarding and remarkably exciting past times I have ever been around. Weather I was watching or participating.

I don't care how good you are. WE are all in this for pretty much the same reason. It's in our blood.

Let's not loose sight of that.

Right On! It does stay in your blood. I've laid my sticks down for years, and for whatever reason, (the last seeing my daughter do Highland dancing and percussion), I've picked them up again. And it's a good way to carry on the Tradition. Up here, we play very much "old school" parts. Lots of notes, but not too many not to be musical. When some younger people see it, they think it's cool. We throw some new stuff in too. It's the place to drum if you aren't in a drum corps. Up here, (Seattle), there's getting to be more drumcorps in the Northwest, but for those who can't afford it, or who want a stepping stone, we're there. We're mostly comprised of '70's Drum Corps alumni, with some '80's mixed in, but we have some younger kids as well. We've had a few kids go to the Cascades, and one even went on to Marketing with the Oregon Crusaders.

To me, this is a big, "win win". And if anyone thinks alumni drumines, or corps are for hasbeens or wannabes, come check out, or play in our line. We'll blow your balls off. At least it will open your eyes. (And ears.) ^0^ ^0^ ^0^