ESPN and Recruitment

I think it will take another year to reap the benefits. I believe the telecast was enough to get students interested that don't about it or are the uneducated. Those are the ones that will go to their first show next summer and see if this is the real deal. After that, people will start making their decisions if this is truly what they want to do. Give it time young Skywalker.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During the latest Field Pass show, Dan Potter interviewed Dan Acheson regarding the state of DCI. One of the things Dan mentioned was that, after the ESPN2 broadcast, websites hits on DCI.org went up considerably. Corps directors had also reported to Dan that they had seen increased activity on their sites, as well.

While I'm sure that some folks were and will continue to be motivated by the broadcast, I would guess that most of the benefits of the exposure are intangible and don't directly correlate to hard and fast numbers that measure its impact (I guess you could measure it if you asked every new and returning recruit how they heard about the activity and the corps and specifically asked about the broadcast). That said, I think it's awesome that our activity is on ESPN, as those intangible benefits (name recognition, awareness, etc.) could be substantial.

Actually, there were a couple of kids at the auditions camps so far that said they saw corps on ESPN and thought it was freakin sweet. So they wanted to do it. That type of thing. So I'd say it's been a pretty good success. I've never really met an auditionee that said "You know, I was watching PBS and this DCI thing came on and wow! It made me want to march!" No disrespect to PBS, they've served us well. But I've just never heard that from a kid.

Actually, there were a couple of kids at the auditions camps so far that said they saw corps on ESPN and thought it was freakin sweet. So they wanted to do it. That type of thing. So I'd say it's been a pretty good success. I've never really met an auditionee that said "You know, I was watching PBS and this DCI thing came on and wow! It made me want to march!" No disrespect to PBS, they've served us well. But I've just never heard that from a kid.

(sometime in 1990)

Kid: Hey, Mr. (Band director), I saw this really cool marching band show on PBS last night. Were they college bands or something?

Band Director: No, that was the drum corps world championships. DCI. I have videos from some of the other years. Do you want to borrow them?

Kid: Yeah!

kid=me

just one example...

I've never really met an auditionee that said "You know, I was watching PBS and this DCI thing came on and wow! It made me want to march!" No disrespect to PBS, they've served us well. But I've just never heard that from a kid.

That happened more than you think, actually. I'm one of those people, and I know a bunch of people who were introduced to it the same way. :)

I'm sure that most of the kids who're auditioning this season knew of drum corps from somewhere other than the ESPN broadcast. But what it might end up being is a good tool for "recruiting" PARENTS and letting them know what the activity is about behind-the-scenes. If a mom & dad were sort of on the fence about whether to let their kid march, some of the stuff on the ESPN show might convince them.

I think any exposure on a national level is good; the CBS newsclip they showed at semis is a good example. For me, Drum Corps is a lot like NASCAR----there's nothing like being there. Hopefully, exposure like the ESPN broacast will get them through the door (or gate).

That happened more than you think, actually. I'm one of those people, and I know a bunch of people who were introduced to it the same way. :)

Me...a Saturday afternoon in 1977...the YMCA in Moline, Illinois. A bunch of kids were watching some marching bands on the TV in the Y's lobby. The broadcast went on forever...like 6 hours...live. Rode my bike home as quickly as I could to watch the rest in static-y black-and-white on the Iowa City PBS affiliate. Saw my first drum corps show live the following summer and was marching the summer after that. Little seeds get planted and grow....eventually becoming........ old men who can't give this stuff up.

Dan Potter, Host

The Field Pass

@ SeasonPass.DCI.org