Should Drum Solos be brought back?

again for the record, i am for adrum solos that make sense and arent stopping a show cold just to play incredibly hard #### that, IMo, usually has tons of fuzz cause it';s unattainable

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as fitting into the overall presentation of todays shows I would have to agree...however, there seems to be less and less time to highlight the talents and expertise of individual sections,...which obviously was done during drum solos and concerts in past shows...also, the drop in I&E participation mentioned in the "drum battle" thread has left less and less exposure for individual or sectional talent outside of the overall presentation you mentioned....I just feel in order to not alienate future participants who may want to see a little more sectional spotlight, there should be a happy medium....blending a little of todays show with shows of the past...DCI may be seeing the need for this as well with the recent release of "The Lot" DVD which follows a few corps drumlines through lot warm-ups and exercises....IMO, the release of the DVD may be an indication of this... B)

I think in terms of the field shows a corps like the Cadets seems to have a pretty good grasp on programming a percussion feature while not bringing the visual aspect of the battery contribution to a grinding halt.

As for concerts....that was always my least favorite part of shows of my era, outside of a VERY few corps. I just prefer to see the blend of music and visual in drum corps, and marching band.

it is yes, but in the past, the features were there for drummers in the crowd who liked notes.

it is funny that i have seen lines playing much harder stuff in the lot than in the show.

it is yes, but in the past, the features were there for drummers in the crowd who liked notes.

Yes...which is why I like shows like the Cadets that provides a percussion feature while NOT bringing the battery visual show to a grinding halt.

it is funny that i have seen lines playing much harder stuff in the lot than in the show.

Common pre-DCI as well.

Hey if lines don't wanna play a drum solo on the field then fine. Whatever. It's kinda sad IMHO.

I'd rather sit in front of a line in the lot and enjoy them up close for 45 minutes and then do the same thing over and over.

Has anyone seen that new In The Lot vid? I would like to hear a review.

Mom

What's that saying, "be careful what you wish for"? If drum features are done less, and less, then it takes away from the "everyman" being able to enjoy the show. If the trend continues, then the only people watching will be the ones that think that opera is cool. (There's a place for opera mind you, but it's not my favorite thing.) Drum Solos WOW the crowd. I'm getting tired of watching people run and dance around the field. But, that's IMO. And I think that there are a lot of drummers in corps that would like to flex their muscles, and a lot of fans that would love to see that. I remember from Murray Gusseks Vanguard exercise book, he thanked someone for taking him to hear a drum corps show, so he could hear, "diddley dum dum dim, diddley dum dum dum". I know it's all about the score, and it always will be, but the powers that be need to strike a balance. During Drum Solos, the guard got to strut their stuff and the horns got a rest. But as with everything, there will be some who want it, and those who hate it. I still hate the fact that the Cadets got a perfect drum score in 1987 without playing anything, while SCV and BD played tasty, musical and demanding Drum Solos. In history people will look at the recap and think they were the best line in history, which isn't true, (please, no disrespect to the kids. They didn't write the show.) Too bad the "exposure to error" caption wasn't there. Also, there's no such thing as a perfect score, especially if you're not last on.

What's that saying, "be careful what you wish for"? If drum features are done less, and less, then it takes away from the "everyman" being able to enjoy the show. If the trend continues, then the only people watching will be the ones that think that opera is cool. (There's a place for opera mind you, but it's not my favorite thing.) Drum Solos WOW the crowd. I'm getting tired of watching people run and dance around the field. But, that's IMO. And I think that there are a lot of drummers in corps that would like to flex their muscles, and a lot of fans that would love to see that. I remember from Murray Gusseks Vanguard exercise book, he thanked someone for taking him to hear a drum corps show, so he could hear, "diddley dum dum dim, diddley dum dum dum". I know it's all about the score, and it always will be, but the powers that be need to strike a balance. During Drum Solos, the guard got to strut their stuff and the horns got a rest. But as with everything, there will be some who want it, and those who hate it. I still hate the fact that the Cadets got a perfect drum score in 1987 without playing anything, while SCV and BD played tasty, musical and demanding Drum Solos. In history people will look at the recap and think they were the best line in history, which isn't true, (please, no disrespect to the kids. They didn't write the show.) Too bad the "exposure to error" caption wasn't there. Also, there's no such thing as a perfect score, especially if you're not last on.

i dont agree with the perfect score, but to say they played nothing is a huge misconception.