Should Drum Solos be brought back?

A percussion feature, which I believe should be at least one minute long (two is ideal), is essential in any show, as is a ballad. I'm all for variety in drum corps, but these two elements need to be standard for every single show put on the field. Are there any advantages to not having a percussion feature or a ballad? None whatsoever. Percussion features are just plain amazing, while drum corps ballads can be some of the most emotional music ever produced.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A percussion feature, which I believe should be at least one minute long (two is ideal), is essential in any show, as is a ballad. I'm all for variety in drum corps, but these two elements need to be standard for every single show put on the field. Are there any advantages to not having a percussion feature or a ballad? None whatsoever. Percussion features are just plain amazing, while drum corps ballads can be some of the most emotional music ever produced.

What?

Do you really think that a show is automatically worse simply because it does not follow some 30 year old playbook?

Edited by G-Cym

What?

Do you really think that a show is automatically worse simply because it does not follow some 30 year old playbook?

Absolutely. These elements are standard in drum corps, and that's never going to change. Go ahead and design any show you want, but if you want to bring people to their feet, you have to follow some rules. Try to name five legendary shows that don't contain either a ballad nor a percussion feature. I sure can't.

so, you're suggesting compulsories like figure skating?

no thanks.

Not at all. Shows should be able to designed however the designers see fit; there's no reason for DCI to regulate what is put on the field. After all, Star 1993 was completely unlike any drum corps show of its time, and it's a complete masterpiece. Percussion feature? Check. Ballad? Check. Why wouldn't you want these elements in a show? How could a show possible benefit from their absence?

Try to name five legendary shows that don't contain either a ballad nor a percussion feature. I sure can't.

Just because designers tend to think inside the box a little too much, does not mean that a great show cannot be designed that stretches the boundaries of what makes a show. You are attempting to use designers lack of trying as proof that it would never work. And for the record, I totally believe that there should be some rules. Rules in regards to instrumentation. IMO, that is what really makes drum corps different. But saying some rigid template of song styles is what defines drum corps is absurd. If something can be done well with brass and percussion, go for it. to be honest, I for one am pretty tired of the same format from every corps every year. I would love to see a show without a ballad. The only real constraint is that performers need to relax a bit. 11 minutes of intensity is pretty hard. Even 8 of 210 in PIW stretches my limits. But there is no real reason not to try.

Again, using the fact that most show designers have not tried to vary the formula is pretty weak "proof" that it couldn't work.

Edited by G-Cym

Why would any of those things EVER be "essential" in EVERY show? It all depends...as always.

Percussion features can indeed be amazing...they can also be mind-numbingly boring...depends on the score, the performance and who is dong the listening.

As well...ballads can be VERY emotional and moving...they can also be drek.

There can be advantages to not having a percussion feature...like if the show design doesn't call for one, for instance....sams as with a ballad. Wedging stuff into a show "just because" is, IMO, a terrible way to design a show. If one fits...great....if not....also great.