Medical Bag

I've observed that ibuprofen seems to work better than acetiminophen under conditions of physical stress. Although some will still prefer acetiminophen.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's an ER nurse in the Renegades color guard the past few years. She has a first aid box on site at all times and of course CPR trained. duh. You have no idea how many injuries she treated during her time in the corps. Including running someone to the ER after her triage work. When she got hurt (rifle vs. forehead) we were all frozen...uh...what do we do?? She walked us through how to apply first aid.

In her first aid kit she had everything Walgreens has in their first aid aisle. I think there's even a defribulator in there. Hey what can I say, we're a senior corps.

Of course, everything in that kit is new - meaning nothing has expired over the season. (pepto, aspirin, etc.)

Pretty sure I did not see this mentioned. Something for immediate relief of sunburn, and able to be applied as generously as desired - Noxema - there are pots of this deep skin cleanser, and it's just excellent - goes on cool and stays there for awhile. Of course, it does dry up, gets messy on straps of clothes, etc. But for corps, I expect it would be fine, considering guys go without shirts and girls tie up the bras and such.

I applaud you for taking the initiative and preparing for your corps' medical emergencies. There are some very good things listed already, and looks like almost all bases are covered, but I would like to add some insight from my experiences:

- to repeat: TAKE AT LEAST A BASIC FIRST AID COURSE. Treating bumps and bruises as a neighborhood mom or a casual bystander is easy, but once you set yourself up as the first aid 'authority' even in an informal or unofficial capacity, you step across the good samaritan line and potentially bear more legal responsibility for you and your corps than you may realize.

- Except for dispensing the most familiar over the counter meds, and even then I would use caution, I would keep to the noninvasive interventions, or procedures that you are trained to do.

- Unless it is prescribed for the specific person, I would not recommend giving someone an unprescribed breathing treatment - the potential side effects make that best left to the professionals.

- FYI, commercially available Super Glue is not the same as surgical glue, and should not be used to close wounds. If seen by a physician later, digging it out of the wound is painful and will result in a larger scar.

- Helpful reminder: Except for topical antibiotics, anything spread on burns or injuries has to be scrubbed off in the ED if the injury requires more definitive intervention - and that hurts worse than the injury. If it looks worse than you believe a layer of lotion will help, it is probably best to not apply it.

- Taping arms and legs: Not really rocket science, but there is a right and wrong way to do it. Do a little research, ask questions of your local school trainer, and practice. Definitely worth the effort, and the knees and ankles will thank you.

- Word to the wise: Wherever your corps travels, make sure you know how to access emergency response or care. Unbelievably, there are still some places that do not have 911 access, or have it but do not use it. Never assume.

Again I think you are doing the right thing by stepping up to the plate and addressing the medical needs of your group. I wish it were mandatory of all drum corps, and I wish more attention were given to medical coverages at our events, and not just an afterthought.

John is the man when it comes to this stuff. He's the man in charge of emergency services in Greenville, S.C.

Listen to his advice!

BTW, he did an excellent job of wrapping my knee last summer after I made a bad turn.

pepto-bismal too for stomach aches.

Just make sure it's in tablet form. I think the liquid has to be refridgerated. :worthy:

Just make sure it's in tablet form. I think the liquid has to be refridgerated. :worthy:

the liquid form doesnt have to be refrigarated. but i would recomend tablet form too (warm peptobismal just sounds really gross to me)

:P Good one, not a bad idea in a pinch I guess. I wonder if that might infect a wound?

I hadn't thought of that but while on tour, you'll use just about anything if you need to perform right! ^0^

I would be surprised to find typical bacteria that could survive an application of super glue.

also a very good think to have would be a notebook (cheap marble one or somehting of the sort. Have each member write down the date, their name, and what they took. This helps to keep track of who is taking what. If a person is taking 3-4 asprins a day you'll know something is wrong. Plus this also helps with keeping supplys full, as you do not want to have to administer some Tylenol and suddenly be out of it.