Season that made you cry.

-- Madison not being allowed to go on last as defending champ (and thus not appear on the live telecast), breaking a long tradition
What was the reason for that?

Madison was seventh at semis, Cadets fifth. The top 5 appeared in the live telecast at that time (starting the following year it became Top 6), and the defending champ always went on last. But the defending champ had always been in the top five placements at semis until this particular year. The story is that Cadets (and that means you-know-who) made the case that Madison performing last would bump Cadets off of TV. There was a meeting of involved directors and they sided with Cadets. This is the story as I recall it. As a Scouts fan it was disappointing, and many were angered by the last-minute way in which it was done. On the other hand, Cadets did have a great show and and it was great to see them on TV for that reason. But for those who were still high off of Madison's championship performance the year before it was a real downer.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

99. the show seemed like a good idea. I guess I should have known something was up when I was the only upper lead at more than one camp. The "sticks," the bus company we had in the beginning, 54 horns, where'd the guard go, etc.

On the plus side: It let us know that we were not invincible. I remember listening to semifinals scores in 98 and saying, "it's pretty close, i hope we make finals." a contra player (whose name i cannot remember) said, "of course we'll make finals. we're the bluecoats." That was an idea that had to go. I really think if 99 never happened, the bluecoats would be hovering between 9th and 12th right now.

99. the show seemed like a good idea. I guess I should have known something was up when I was the only upper lead at more than one camp. The "sticks," the bus company we had in the beginning, 54 horns, where'd the guard go, etc.

On the plus side: It let us know that we were not invincible. I remember listening to semifinals scores in 98 and saying, "it's pretty close, i hope we make finals." a contra player (whose name i cannot remember) said, "of course we'll make finals. we're the bluecoats." That was an idea that had to go. I really think if 99 never happened, the bluecoats would be hovering between 9th and 12th right now.

I kind of felt the same way about us (Glassmen) after 2003. Had that not happened, '04 (my age-out year) would not have gone as well. While we only moved up a couple of places, a lot of little things were righted. Just in terms of fun I had doing it, I'd rank 2004 up there with my year in 2001-- things clicked a lot better.

WOW there were some flat shows from the top to the bottom!

1990 was an innovative season.

Star of Indiana had emerged as one of the most artistic corps of the time and a major threat to the Champion-caliber corps. They had one of the best brass sections that they ever had.

The Blue Devils had a great brass sound and were VERY EXPERIMENTAL with "Tommy". The show was out there but it was nicely assembled musically.

Overall 1990 helped to generate and pioneer new ideas that would bring corps from the 80s into the new millenium of Drum Corps.

Star of Indiana had emerged as one of the most artistic corps of the time and a major threat to the Champion-caliber corps. They had one of the best brass sections that they ever had.

The Blue Devils had a great brass sound and were VERY EXPERIMENTAL with "Tommy". The show was out there but it was nicely assembled musically.

Overall 1990 helped to generate and pioneer new ideas that would bring corps from the 80s into the new millenium of Drum Corps.

and those two had some sad guard shows.............

Star's guard MADE ME CRY...........

and those two had some sad guard shows.............

Star's guard MADE ME CRY...........