how do you know if you can make it?

i am in a DCA corps and play 5th bass and i love it. i would love to try and get into a DCI corps bass line(4th or 5th bass) like, glassmen, crossmen, boston crusaders a corps of that level( maybe madison if i could ). i just dont see how i could ever do it with college, work and things like that. but even if i dide find a way to make it work how do i know that i am good enough to make it in a DCI corps?

i know there are others in the same boat i am.

i am in a DCA corps and play 5th bass and i love it. i would love to try and get into a DCI corps bass line(4th or 5th bass) like, glassmen, crossmen, boston crusaders a corps of that level( maybe madison if i could ). i just dont see how i could ever do it with college, work and things like that. but even if i dide find a way to make it work how do i know that i am good enough to make it in a DCI corps?

doesn't really matter how good you are right now...it's about how good you WILL become. that's really what they want to see when they audition you. If youre really worried about the technical aspect, just go to a camp for one of those corps. Its not too late at all for the 2006 season.

Very true. I don't know myself what div I corps look for...talent or potential....but the only way you'll ever know, is to go for it. And it hasn't been said yet in this thread, but, there are div II/III corps out there that are both competitive and educational. and like people have already said....it is by no means too late for 2006. There are corps still in need of people.

You'll only know if you go.

No use in getting twisted about it until you make the leap to go for it.

And then, if you make it, you'll most likely figure it out. Most people have entire lives to balance, but that is also a part of the experience -- how to handle multiple responsibilities in life. Go for it and good luck.

Every corps is going to be different as some are harder to get into than others. Keep all your options open. If you try out for a top 12 DCI corps but don't make it you should go to another corps and try again. If all else fails you can always go back to the White Sabres and keep playing and marching... and I'm sure they'd be sad to loose you anyway.

how do i know that i am good enough to make it in a DCI corps?

You try.

It's as simple as that. I know so many people that ask that same question. They never try-out, and now they will never march. Don't make that same mistake.

About the time issues with school work, etc... It's all about how you look at it. You have to be passionate with what you are doing. Not just with drum corps, but with everything in life. Everything matters. If you figure out that you have more passion for drum corps, that's great. If it's the other way around, then thats just the way things end up for you.

It may end up that you want to be totally committed to your DCA corps. Anything can happen. It doesn't hurt to try-out.

Good luck,

Tony

I played sax all through high school, and I was drum major my senior year. I had thought about trying to learn a brass instrument, but couldn't get around to it due to my high school workload. Now I go to a college where the workload is pretty rough, but I have way more time, and I devote some time each day to practicing baritone. I'm also not a music major, so other classes are my priority, and I continue to play saxophone in the Wind Symphony.

So this fall, I decided to make the trek. 7 hours, to the closest corps (any division of dci). Getting to the camps is kinda rough. And losing a whole weekend is rough for my school work, but this is something I've wanted to do for a few years now, and I only have 06 and 07 to march, so I figured it was now or never basically. Marching drum corps will likely eliminate the opportunity for me to spend a semester (or summer) abroad during college, but that is a sacrifice I'm willing to make. I'm in the process of trying to make the bari line, and I feel like I can hold my own, though there are definitely people there who are much better than me. So, I've been working hard between camps, and hopefully I will earn a spot.

I can't tell you if you would get a spot in a bass line, but I can tell you that you won't be out of your league.

but even if i dide find a way to make it work how do i know that i am good enough to make it in a DCI corps?

You practice your butt off and then when the time comes, you go to audition. The worst that can happen is that you'll get cut, but you'll never know unless you try. And even if you don't make the line, you'll still probably learn a lot and make a few new friends along the way.