Bluecoats

i'm not making the argument that the bluecoats should be on your "top 6 list"... thats up to you... but my question is, at what point does a corps drop? At what point do you say, "ok, you've got a wonderful history, and lots of people love you, but to retain your status, you've got to proove that you can mix it up with the top 5 again"... how many years? 4, 5, 6? 20?

The thing here is this -- Madison is RIGHT THERE with the Bluecoats (my Bluecoats) in the past 3-4-5 years, with Bluecoats a bit ahead if you only look at Finals finishes. When someone does toss in their history, Madison jumps them a little in many (most?) opinions.

And, BTW, like I said in my last post, CCrown is right there, too.

Let's remove "Madison" and insert "Spirit." Nothing against what they are currently doing, but they're a "Finalist contender" not a "can they break top 4" contender right now. BUT, when you toss in their history from the 1970s and 1980s, and the fact that SOOO many people LOVED them back in the day, an "all-time" list very well MIGHT put them ahead of the Bluecoats, whereas they might not belong there on a "current history" list.

Does that make sense to anyone?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to have to agree with everything Allaina said.

The Blue team is the only corps in the top 12 to never go down in placement in the last 7 years. We've brought consistency to the table.

And amen to saying that's it's a really nice thing to hear whether or not we belong in the "elite" as opposed to whether or not we belong in finals. Joining a 13th place corps and aging out in the top 5 without jumping ship was a wild ride. This thread, despite the obvious flame bait here and there, really makes me happy. It's nice to hear Bluecoats in this kind of discussion. I would never have imagined it back in November of 99. :)

Edited by BlooooContra

definately not worth it

Edited by raphael18

My point?

If you have to defend yourselves in this way, then no, you aren't elite yet. You shouldn't have to jump on here, fans and other corps should flock to your defense.

That leads to the question, then, of whether Madison should be included in the elite any more. There are quite a few people who say no, so others have to come in to defend Madison's standing. How is this any different from Bluecoats?

I suppose a more eloquent way of restating my idea could be simply to request that one take a look at which corps have rules against current members, or even recent age-outs, from posting on the internet.

Edited by raphael18

I suppose a more eloquent way of restating my idea could be simply to request that one take a look at which corps have rules against current members, or even recent age-outs, from posting on the internet.

And that has to do with anything how? I am not a Bluecoats member, nor do I ever plan on being one. I am equally a fan of the Bluecoats and Madison. I don't see what not letting members post on the web has to do with a corps' standing in the eyes of the fans.

The fact is, there really is not standard Top 5. It's more like a Top 3. Cavies, BD, and Cadets. Phantom Regiment and Madison have all dropped beneath 4th or 5th in the past decade. The 5th spot has been occupied by a different corps every few years. So to say that being in that spot makes Bluecoats part of the top 5 is like asying Glassmen is in the Top5, cause after all, they were there 3 seperate times, 98, 99, and 01.

When people talk about "the Top 5" or whatnot, they are not talking about just this past year, or even past few years. They are talking about the past 10, or 30. Cav, CB, Cadets, SCV, and Phantom have been near the top since DCI's inception. Bluecoats have not. It is simple as that. And until they can stay in that Top 5 spot for at least 5 years, I won't really think of thme as a "contender". THis pattern has just happened too many times before. I know it must be exciting for big fans and members of Bluecoats for them to be that close, but they aren't there yet. That's just the way it is. Beat BD, beat Cavies, and beat cadets, and then it will be a possibility. But until then, in my mind, and in a lot of other people's minds, it is going to keep being Cavs, BD, Cadets, Phantom, and SCV, and then everyone else.

Edited by G-Cym