One Strange Day

I have a psp and last week i finally found out how to convert dvd's on to mpg4 ( for PSP) any how i was watching Blue devils 2002 on the tube this morning and this guy tapped me on the shoulder and said he preferred 2001, I said "why is that" he said because i marched "with them in 2001", the thing is that this happened in london (drumcorps is still pretty small over here), any how i am one happy bear as I met a member from my favourite corps.

And if you met him in England, chances are 50-50 that he is lying about his corps affiliation. Really.

^0^ B)

During a summer break in college, I worked at a Marsh grocery store in town. One day I wore a SPLOOIE shirt, and didn't put my work shirt on until I was on the clock. A guy driving by me in the parking lot stopped and asked where I got it, I told him I had just been to the DCI show in the RCA Dome. Turns out he was a former marcher. He came through my line when he was checking out and we talked drum corps for a bit.

I also wore a Cavaliers hoodie to the same job, over a winter break one day. A lady stopped me to talk drum corps, and it turns out she had marched with Star! It's pretty fun when you find these rare occurances.

Two instances..long after I aged out:

• Went to a Blue Devils home show and discovered a co-worker attending the show. Turned out she had been attending DCI for the past 15 years or so (saw the years I performed) and had been a long time drum corps fan. Once she knew I was an alumn, she found a DCI video of me and had a image of that captured on her machine.....
  • A couple of months ago.......somebody brought up the fact I played in a few bands and I was asked "where" I played. I mentioned Blue Devils and one guy in ear shot sat up and mentioned he used to volunteer for the Vanguard. He's been my witness when I brag about drum corps.
  • Last year at a christmas party. A guy I worked with for a couple of years turned out to be one of the first members of Renegades and his brother marched in Freelancers. We spent the rest of the evening talking drum corps...the rest of the table were amazed at how well we hit it off right there and talked like we'd been long time friends. Fun night.

• 2 weeks later...

I love meeting corps people in random places!

My school's band/choral program took a bunch of us to a dress rehearsal of an opera at the Met (aka nap time for me- I go to hear the orchestra)... when we had a break for lunch, I went to the little congregation area for lunch, and I was wearing my Raiders jacket since it was cold. Well, my friend noticed this guy staring at us and said hi, and he said "You guys were our rivals!" she thought he was talking about her school jacket until he pointed at mine, so I asked if he marched. Turns out, he was with LVK until they folded. That was cool.

On a free day in Kentucky State Park, a colorguard friend of mine and I stopped in a souvenier shop to grab something to drink, and when we were checking out the lady ringing us asked us if we were with a corps (I was wearing my member shirt) and she proceeded to tell us how she marched with Star of Indiana in '89, '90! It was really cool.

a while back I was moving out of my apartment and my brother was helping me. Well since his son was marching glassmen at the time he had a booster/parent glassmen jacket on. When we went to the office to return the key, as we were walking out the girl behind the counter yelled and ran after us. turns out she had marched Glassmen, BD, and Spirit during the 80's. We all got talking and I mentioned my Bluecoats experience as well. She asked me where I was moving to, and it turns out that her and her husband moved into the apartment complex I had moved into and they gave my name as a referral. We ended up becoming friends and hanging out with each other for the next couple years.

I was in Japan about ten years ago. I was there on business and was walking around Kyoto square in my corps jacket and someone walked up to me, an american, and said he marched in the Cavaliers! Imagine going half way across the world and running into someone from the same activity. What a great world.

After I started a new job, I was talking with some co-workers a bit about drum corps over lunch. One of the women there had cousins that had marched. She gave me enough information for me to figure out the corps she was talking about. The more we talked, the more I realized I thought I knew who her cousins were. As it turns out, I dated her cousin for a year while we both marched in the same corps.