When I listen to the Cavaliers of the '90s, it makes me sad...

Instruments have a characteristic sound, do they not?

instruments have many sounds.

for example. look at the Cadets trumpets VS BDs trumpets.

2 different sounds, not meant to sound the same. is one better than the other? no. Why? b/c there is not 1 correct sound. there are many.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

instruments have many sounds.

for example. look at the Cadets trumpets VS BDs trumpets.

2 different sounds, not meant to sound the same. is one better than the other? no. Why? b/c there is not 1 correct sound. there are many.

See, that's where we disagree. I think you can objectively say that BDs trumpet sounds are way more correct than the Cadets.

I think BD is definitely the cleanest hornline in any given year. Some of their stuff sounds completely amazing, and they are usually the winner the brass trophy for a reason. Why this is, I don't know. Maybe, even after the Cavaliers' resurgence in this decade, BD still gets the majority of the talent? They still don't have my favorite sound, though.

How memorable of a show is Four Corners?

Well, it's one of my very favorites, and ranks near that top all-time when it comes to often I play the show.

When was the last time someone mentioned the shivers they got when watching Spin Cycle?

The last time was right now, because I do get shivers every time, especially in the climaxes of the opener and the closer.

Obviously, my opinions do not lie in the majority, nor do I assume them to.

Oh yes you do.

So you don't like the show? Fine. Stop presuming to tell us that yours is the definitive opinion, or that these shows aren't enormously entertaining just because you didn't care for them.

I swear, speaking for other people is becoming an epidemic around here. :peek:

I don't necessarily think Cavaliers should have won every year. I think it should have gone like this:

2000 - BD

2001 - Cadets

2002 - Cavaliers

2003 - BD

2004 - Cavaliers/BD

2005 - Cavaliers

I don't know your own situation, but if you think you have the "stuff" to judge...why not go through the training process and start to judge?

It is sad, however, to see judges reward things I disagree with vehemently. Because then it puts up an illusion that said things are to be respected and rewarded, when in some cases, they are not.

Well, if the same things get rewarded by a variety of different people over the course of an entire season, how do you know you are correct in YOUR assessment?

You may like one "thing" over another, of course.

Instruments have a characteristic sound, do they not?

The "sound" of a particular hornline is dependent on a variety of factors, not just the instruments themselves. The type of sound a staff wants to generate, and works long hours to create by the performances of the members, will cause a WIDE variety in the sound that is produced by different organizations.

The skillsets of the performers will also impact the sound....younger and less experienced players versus older and more experienced plahyers.

The arrangements themselves...esp the voicings....will impact the resultant sound.