2006 top 12 standings

That's all I'm saying, just give them a few years :) they should be amazing, everyone's views are so clouded by the placements and how dare he suggest they are better than the this corp or compare it to another! FLAMEFLAMEFLAME!!! I don't see how people hate corps so fervidly :(

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean that Brian Tinkel marched in the line under Hannum in 1993, is a UMASS grad, where Hannum teaches, and while his style and pedagogy are his own, his program reflects much of what he had learned from TH. Give him time..05 was his first year as a caption head.

What I mean is that CC is the corps where the Star methods and approach are being emulated the most. Very simple. Crown certainly has been innovative, even if they are a middle-tier corps. Remember that one of the most innovative shows ever was a 12 place corps ('87 SkyRyders)

I would venture to say that the commitment to excellence is there also. CC is still in the process of building. Remember that only 3.5 years ago they were a 16th place corps. True, they haven't equalled Star as far as the high placement or Championships yet. Let us not forget that there were two years in row that Star was 7th in a row..3 years later they were polishing the hardware..

Breath Dah..it's there. Taught by Star alums, and overseen by DVD. The teaching methods are the same, for the most part. The brass program there has Star written all over it.

My point is all corps are influenced by what came before them. Corps taught by Zingali disciples have drills that look similar to what GZ did. Do you think that Gino doesn't use methods that Meehan and Downey taught him?? That Paul Rennick might refer to some thing that Charley Poole taught him? Maybe, just maybe, Matt Harloff at CC harkens back to his days as a lead soprano and DM at Star when he is teaching the Crown Brassline. Maybe he remembers a pointer that DVD or Barry Hudson gave him, or when he is working with the Crown DM, remembers how he handeled it from his own days on the podium. Far be it from me to put thoughts into anyones mind, but common sense tells you that this is likely the case.

Completely agree... I think what people forget when they compare Star to Crown is they compare where Star ended (in 1993) with where Crown is now. Let us not fool ourselves: Crown is a program that is still buliding. If we compare Crown 05 to... say... Star 88 or 89, are they honestly THAT far apart?

Star was one of the greatest corps of all time, and I would be willilng to bet that give them a few more years under their current direction... Crown will get there too. It seems to me that all they need now is time.

Completely agree... I think what people forget when they compare Star to Crown is they compare where Star ended (in 1993) with where Crown is now. Let us not fool ourselves: Crown is a program that is still buliding. If we compare Crown 05 to... say... Star 88 or 89, are they honestly THAT far apart?

Star was one of the greatest corps of all time, and I would be willilng to bet that give them a few more years under their current direction... Crown will get there too. It seems to me that all they need now is time.

I couldn't agree more, and with THIS staff I don't think that they will be allowed not to.

I'll take that bet.

This whole argument is pretty ridiculous... They have some of the same staff... so what. If becoming one of the greatest corps of all time was that simple, don't you think more corps would have done it by now? Do you know how many other corps use breathe dah? A lot.

Crown is a great corps, but in a few years, they'll either still be floating in the 5-8 range or will be back in 9-12... just like boston, glassmen, crossmen, blue knights, etc.

We get it, you march Crown and you love them, that's great. But they aren't going to become the next Star.

a revolutionary innovator in the activity (taking advantage of a rule change the first year possible doesn't count)..... finishes phrases like Star did...... (3 Ott trophies in 4 years)

Ummm since you make the rules as to what determines greatness I won't comment on the first statement. The Crown brass line is for a fact taught to finish phrases the exact same way that Star was... Is Crown as good at it? No! But they are getting closer. Not to mention the fact that there are obvious similarities in thier concepts of sound that they produce although Crown has it's own unique meathods of style and phrasing(listen to Star 89-90 and Crown 05 back to back...Crown doesn't have the difficulty but they have the sound). WHEN DONNIE VANDOREN HIMSELF IS STANDING THERE TELLING SOMEONE HOW TO BETTER BLEND THIER SOUND TO THE REST OF THE ENSEMBLE OR HOW TO BREATHE AND ARTICULATE I'M PRETTY SURE THAT IS AS CLOSE AS YOU ARE GOING TO GET THESE DAYS. I'm not saying that Crown is Star or is even close to Star and I NEVER WILL! Nor were The Cadets of the late 90's... or the Troopers... or the Crossmen... or anywhere else that Donnie has taught! Why do people bring this topic up every couple of months? As for the Ott trophies.... Star tied for brass in 93.... so technically that is 4 (90,91, 92, 93)! I dare somebody to say something about the bluecoats hornline... Jared won't be able to contain himself! Thank you that is all... now back to your regularly scheduled topic :laugh:

1. The Cavaliers (not a fan... overwellming return rate + new drum staff)

2. The Cadets

3. Blue Devils

4. Phantom Regiment

5-8 Crown, Madison, Bluecoats, SCV (not in that order)

9. BK (underestimated brass section)

10. Boston

11. Glassmen

12. Up for grabs (I hope Bones makes a comeback... possibly Colts)

I think that is all preatty realistic... no fantasy drum corps here

Edited by upperleadlove

I feel the same about Cavaliers after getting bumped out last year I bet they will be comming back with an amazing show visually and musically(frameworks pt.III) I can't wait :) I have a strong feeling the BD have an amazing show next year can't wait to see how it plays out.

Still plenty of Crown love in the louielouie/dcifan2002 realm, I see. <**>

Hmm.star was 10th their first season..I think the kids from Carolina have bested that.

Star made crosses, fish, chalices, and stars..not words..ok so that is different how? Stars guard did wear a modifed roman outfit in 1991..not a toga per se..but it was the latest in faux ancientwear..

Simple truth..Crown is Crown, and Star is Star..However, the Star Brass program is in place at Crown. The percussion program is "Thom Hannum style".

Crown is not trying to be Star, but they are the best of the current crop of corps in carrying on the Star legacy.

CROWN AND STAR ARE ALIKE except....

no jim Prime , No hannum , no Zingalli., No fULL TIME DVD , No Toga's , No DRILL , and no Drum line.

1 year of a good brass line does not make them star.

they do however have a bland cream clored uni that star once wore and got rid of.

feel the love. lol

best of luck to crown this coming season. I am sure there members work very hard and staff is doing a great job.

but please dont compare.

LL

CROWN AND STAR ARE ALIKE except....

no jim Prime , No hannum , no Zingalli., No fULL TIME DVD , No Toga's , No DRILL , and no Drum line.

1 year of a good brass line does not make them star.

they do however have a bland cream clored uni that star once wore and got rid of.

feel the love. lol

best of luck to crown this coming season. I am sure there members work very hard and staff is doing a great job.

but please dont compare.

LL

Your level of hippocracy in the space of one post is enough to amaze even the most stoic of souls. Good god.

PS..no purple on the Star uniform..

BTW..I'll compare them JUST TO #### YOU OFF!!! :rock:

:feednotroll: <**> :sshh: :huh:

I'll take that bet.

This whole argument is pretty ridiculous... They have some of the same staff... so what. If becoming one of the greatest corps of all time was that simple, don't you think more corps would have done it by now? Do you know how many other corps use breathe dah? A lot.

Crown is a great corps, but in a few years, they'll either still be floating in the 5-8 range or will be back in 9-12... just like boston, glassmen, crossmen, blue knights, etc.

We get it, you march Crown and you love them, that's great. But they aren't going to become the next Star.

Cool..If things go the other way..(and I think they will..) I'll be there to collect. :)