2006 top 12 standings

Check out Crown's brass staff, they are molding into them very quickly :laugh:

this is the stupidest of all.Crown is not even close to the ground breaking corps STAR was. not even in STAR's first season.

STAR was inovative. played the hardest book in the top 12 not the easiest. ran around the field with creative drill. not spelling out words,singing and wearing toga's

the similarities are some members of star teach crown. I think that is true for most DIV.1 corps. someone from STAR or BLAST.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is the stupidest of all.Crown is not even close to the ground breaking corps STAR was. not even in STAR's first season.

STAR was inovative. played the hardest book in the top 12 not the easiest. ran around the field with creative drill. not spelling out words,singing and wearing toga's

the similarities are some members of star teach crown. I think that is true for most DIV.1 corps. someone from STAR or BLAST.

Still plenty of Crown love in the louielouie/dcifan2002 realm, I see. <**>

Hmm.star was 10th their first season..I think the kids from Carolina have bested that.

Star made crosses, fish, chalices, and stars..not words..ok so that is different how? Stars guard did wear a modifed roman outfit in 1991..not a toga per se..but it was the latest in faux ancientwear..

Simple truth..Crown is Crown, and Star is Star..However, the Star Brass program is in place at Crown. The percussion program is "Thom Hannum style".

Crown is not trying to be Star, but they are the best of the current crop of corps in carrying on the Star legacy.

My guess is that the Top 12 will remain very similar to last year with the excpetion of spirit being knocked out and the Colts back in. SCV will place higher as well. Knocking on the Top 12 door will be Blue Stars, Crossmen and Capital Regiment. Back in Semis will be the Kavaliers.

My guess is that the Top 12 will remain very similar to last year with the excpetion of spirit being knocked out and the Colts back in. SCV will place higher as well. Knocking on the Top 12 door will be Blue Stars, Crossmen and Capital Regiment. Back in Semis will be the Kavaliers.

I could buy this except it will be Crossmen, not the Colts in finals, Southwind not Blue Stars knocking on the door and Kavliers will not make semis Im afraid.

Simple truth..Crown is Crown, and Star is Star..However, the Star Brass program is in place at Crown. The percussion program is "Thom Hannum style".

Crown is not trying to be Star, but they are the best of the current crop of corps in carrying on the Star legacy.

What? What does that even mean? They got 12th in drums. "Thom Hannum style," in my mind, would refer to being one of the elite drumlines in DCI. Even the book didn't convey that feel, to me.

"Best of the current crop of corps in carrying on the Star legacy." That phrase still means nothing to me, and I can't even begin to understand it. I don't know where that concept is even coming from. The "Star legacy," at least one aspect of it, to me, is a continued commitment to excellence while being exceedingly unique programatically. Regardless of what direction they went (19th century classical, "Americana," or minimalism), they set the bar for drum corps as far as performance level and on-field innovation goes. I don't see how a corps that was switching back and forth from 7th and 8th all season, can be mentioned in this light.

If they're carrying on this legacy by having a "breathe-dah" approach to brass playing, then people are certainly clutching at straws so to speak, on a consistant basis. All it is, is a system where you're repeatedly telling your hornline to take a full breathe, and then everyone releasing their air at the same time. Star lines also stressed constant breathing. I have a picture of the side of Cap Reg's bus from '04, where someone wrote "breathe dah" on it. I took this picture because we used the same concept in Magic, in '04. And yet, people didn't mention that show as being one that "followed in Star's footsteps." If the association is based on simply such a no-brainer concept, then it's a pretty weak argument overall. Crown has a very good brass sound, but I don't think it even sounds like Star as far as color goes.

It's just a...style I can't really explain the teachers teach it :laugh: You can hear it just listen to some cadets, star, or crown last year(besides the drumline) as opposed to some other corps. I didn't say they WERE star just that they will be in the future :) once they can clean up their drill and drumline who knows what they will become.

What? What does that even mean? They got 12th in drums. "Thom Hannum style," in my mind, would refer to being one of the elite drumlines in DCI. Even the book didn't convey that feel, to me.

I mean that Brian Tinkel marched in the line under Hannum in 1993, is a UMASS grad, where Hannum teaches, and while his style and pedagogy are his own, his program reflects much of what he had learned from TH. Give him time..05 was his first year as a caption head.

"Best of the current crop of corps in carrying on the Star legacy." That phrase still means nothing to me, and I can't even begin to understand it. I don't know where that concept is even coming from. The "Star legacy," at least one aspect of it, to me, is a continued commitment to excellence while being exceedingly unique programatically. Regardless of what direction they went (19th century classical, "Americana," or minimalism), they set the bar for drum corps as far as performance level and on-field innovation goes. I don't see how a corps that was switching back and forth from 7th and 8th all season, can be mentioned in this light.

What I mean is that CC is the corps where the Star methods and approach are being emulated the most. Very simple. Crown certainly has been innovative, even if they are a middle-tier corps. Remember that one of the most innovative shows ever was a 12 place corps ('87 SkyRyders)

I would venture to say that the commitment to excellence is there also. CC is still in the process of building. Remember that only 3.5 years ago they were a 16th place corps. True, they haven't equalled Star as far as the high placement or Championships yet. Let us not forget that there were two years in row that Star was 7th in a row..3 years later they were polishing the hardware..

If they're carrying on this legacy by having a "breathe-dah" approach to brass playing, then people are certainly clutching at straws so to speak, on a consistant basis. All it is, is a system where you're repeatedly telling your hornline to take a full breathe, and then everyone releasing their air at the same time. Star lines also stressed constant breathing. I have a picture of the side of Cap Reg's bus from '04, where someone wrote "breathe dah" on it. I took this picture because we used the same concept in Magic, in '04. And yet, people didn't mention that show as being one that "followed in Star's footsteps." If the association is based on simply such a no-brainer concept, then it's a pretty weak argument overall. Crown has a very good brass sound, but I don't think it even sounds like Star as far as color goes.

Breath Dah..it's there. Taught by Star alums, and overseen by DVD. The teaching methods are the same, for the most part. The brass program there has Star written all over it.

My point is all corps are influenced by what came before them. Corps taught by Zingali disciples have drills that look similar to what GZ did. Do you think that Gino doesn't use methods that Meehan and Downey taught him?? That Paul Rennick might refer to some thing that Charley Poole taught him? Maybe, just maybe, Matt Harloff at CC harkens back to his days as a lead soprano and DM at Star when he is teaching the Crown Brassline. Maybe he remembers a pointer that DVD or Barry Hudson gave him, or when he is working with the Crown DM, remembers how he handeled it from his own days on the podium. Far be it from me to put thoughts into anyones mind, but common sense tells you that this is likely the case.