Where Should finals be held ?

I have said this before and I will say it again and again and again (especially for the sake of the younger crowd who missed out on 1988 and 1989).

There is not a better venue for DCI than Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City MO. ! PERIOD! The way the stands have that arch in the end zones does SOMETHING to the accousics of that place and the clarity is absolutely amazing!!!! It is THE BEST STADIUM ACCOUSTICLY that I have ever been to (and probably ever will). That stadium was BUILT for live music of ANY kind...be it drum corps or a good ole concert. IT IS THEEEE BEST AND DCI needs to make them an offer they can't refuse so they can have DCI back where it SOUNDED IT'S BEST EVER!

That's my $100 worth on this subject! :)

Oh, I forgot to mention. Pre show warm up is an absolutle DREAM at this venue. It HAS to be one of the biggest stadium lots if not THE biggest I have ever been to. SO much space to do whatever you want to prepare for a show!

Edited by torn8o

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have said this before and I will say it again and again and again (especially for the sake of the younger crowd who missed out on 1988 and 1989).

There is not a better venue for DCI than Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City MO. ! PERIOD! The way the stands have that arch in the end zones does SOMETHING to the accousics of that place and the clarity is absolutely amazing!!!! It is THE BEST STADIUM ACCOUSTICLY that I have ever been to (and probably ever will). That stadium was BUILT for live music of ANY kind...be it drum corps or a good ole concert. IT IS THEEEE BEST AND DCI needs to make them an offer they can't refuse so they can have DCI back where it SOUNDED IT'S BEST EVER!

That's my $100 worth on this subject! :)

Oh, I forgot to mention. Pre show warm up is an absolutle DREAM at this venue. It HAS to be one of the biggest stadium lots if not THE biggest I have ever been to. SO much space to do whatever you want to prepare for a show!

Also, there are lots of High Schools in the area to house Corps. There are also a few small Colleges in the area that might be good housing locations for Corps as well. :sigh:

Wow, as an area native and one who went to college in the city and still gets in there often, I couldn't disagree more. Lodging for corps would be a huge problem. Most would have to be out in the suburbs and sometimes traffic on the major expressways is bottlenecked. Facilities at city schools would not be very good...spaces are not very open and housing is right on top of the school grounds. And...not to mention security concerns right in the city.

Did you know Soldier Field stadium parking for special events is $35? I found that out in December when I tried to go to the Shedd Aquarium the day of a night Bears game. Even the further out lot by the Adler Planetarium. Best bet would be to park at Monroe Street or Millenium Park garages and take a shuttle.

I LOVE Chicago and visitors would find it exciting, but I suspect it would be a terrible place for the the championships. I heartily encourage everyone to go there and soak in the culture, though.

Mike

Not to mention the extreme cost of union labor and requirements. Union member must hang all banners @ about $20,000 per banner.

No thanks I don't ean't to pay an extra couple hundred bucks for my tickets.

Have a picture of the stadium? I'm not really following your thought here. That is, unless it is a joke.

yah its a joke...and btw congrats on southwind!

Did you know Soldier Field stadium parking for special events is $35? I found that out in December when I tried to go to the Shedd Aquarium the day of a night Bears game. Even the further out lot by the Adler Planetarium. Best bet would be to park at Monroe Street or Millenium Park garages and take a shuttle.

Parking rates at the lots around SF and the Museum Campus are changed all the time according to WHICH event is going on at the Stadium. It's not always $35 - it's that on Bears game days because the Bears get a cut of the parking - normally it's less than half that, though with an evening special event, it'd still be up a bit. Even with that, I'd rather pay more and park within a short walk of the stadium than do what we did in Madison last time it was there - pay a little less but have to rely on a school bus to get us from a parking lot 7 miles away to the stadium and back. And for those staying in the Loop, parking is a total non-issue since a $5 cab ride gets you dropped off at the gate.

Most corps stay in the suburbs of whatever town Finals is in, so that wouldn't be a change. Cavies camp in '02 in Madison was 30 miles away from Camp Randall, about the same distance as Schaumburg is from Solder Field. Traffic into the city reaches a peak at 8 am then again at 5-6 pm, so corps who had early evening starts would be most effected, though that's certainly workable with good planning. Assuming DCI doesn't hook up with schools in certain portions of the south suburbs or near west side (and they wouldn't), I wouldn't be concerned re: the members' safety.

I've lived in Chicago for most of the last 30 years but also lived in Boston (and am back there regularly visiting friends and family). Given the two cities, I'll take Chicago 's traffic over Boston's any day of the week. Since DCI was able to make that work reasonably well, there's no reason that Chicago couldn't work as well or better (provided the Park District was interested in considering the proposal).

Edited by mobrien

As long as it's never in Florida again, I like the rotating location.

I'm with you on this one 'G-Cym'

I am very surprised that only one other person has mentioned Memorial Stadium at IU, Bloomington! This past season my corps actually had a couple of rehersal days there.... WOW! That is an incredible venue... very solid acoustics, nice field... That stadium is no stranger to the drum corps activity! I don't think it would actually work for finals... There didn't seem to be much parking and it is kinda in the middle of nowhere. I think it would be great if there was a show there again... especially since the rca dome is going to be demolished to build a new stadium.