Where Should finals be held ?

Again, Seattle. Although Scott made some pretty good points for MO....lots of history still remaining in that stadium, as well.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've lived in Chicago for most of the last 30 years but also lived in Boston (and am back there regularly visiting friends and family). Given the two cities, I'll take Chicago 's traffic over Boston's any day of the week. Since DCI was able to make that work reasonably well, there's no reason that Chicago couldn't work as well or better (provided the Park District was interested in considering the proposal).

Ah, but you're neglecting the fact that finals were MANY miles outside the Boston traffic grid. <<DCI was able to make that work reasonably well>> BECAUSE we didn't have to go into Boston or anywhere near downtown, where traffic is notoriously bad. Soldier field, on the other hand, is right next to downtown Chicago.

And what do you think of the union situation Matt Leide mentioned above?

Philadelphia!!!

DI in the Linc

DII/III in Franklin Feild.

I&E in the Wacovia Center or Spectrum.

come on they host the wing bowl there why not something good.

come on with me now PHILLY!

Edited by EuphCub

I'd like to see Philly. Pittsburgh would be nice too. Heinz Field is gorgeous. :bleah:

Actually Pittsburgh might be better for lodging/traffic. In Philly, everyone would need to stay outside the city in the 'burbs and traffic on the Schuylkill Expressway is murder.

they should consider the Olympic Stadium again, in Montreal, like they did in 80 and 81 (i beleive it was)... I would travel to Canada for that.

Have you seen the Big Owe lately? I was there for one of the final Expo's games and it has been allowed to deteriorate terribly. Also, the roof hasn't been retractable for 10 years now and I'm sure acoustics would be a problem.

I feel the best sight lines and sound BY FAR of any venue I've seen drum corps in has been in Buffalo. It feels like you are almost looking straight down onto the field!!

Someone said something about issues with the local convention board or something that stands in the way of retunring there. That's too bad.

I'd like to see Philly. Pittsburgh would be nice too. Heinz Field is gorgeous. :bleah:

Actually Pittsburgh might be better for lodging/traffic. In Philly, everyone would need to stay outside the city in the 'burbs and traffic on the Schuylkill Expressway is murder.

I've been pushing for Finals at Heinz Field since that place opened :P

And I agree entirely, if the city of Pittsburgh would agree to host finals, it's one of the better locations I could think of. I've heard of some turf issues in Pittsburgh but I've also heard they are intending to replace the grass there in the next couple years.

And what do you think of the union situation Matt Leide mentioned above?

What I know (from dealing with the city on other events) is that some staff are unionized, and others are not. Stadium personnel are generally unionized, but their labor rates are built into the quote - it's not like they negotiate a separate agreement with every producer who comes in wanting to rent Soldier Field or host an event at the Field Museum (which I've done before).

Some costs would be up, some would be down, but if they draw an additional 3,000 fans to Finals from the local area (a conservative estimate, considering that Cavies are drawing 4,000 for the show in Naperville), you're talking about $150,000+ in additional revenues for the Finals event alone. And (I know I've pointed this out before, but it's worth repeating), Chicago, on a typical summer night, can have upwards of 70,000 to 90,000 people coming into the Loop and nearby areas for baseball games, concerts, shows, and events. 27,000 or 28,000 people converging on Soldier Field on a Saturday late afternoon would hardly throw the balance of the city off kilter. With those numbers, DCI is still only playing to less than half the crowd the stadium was designed to hold, which indicates UNDERutilization of the available space and traffic management resources.

All of this imho, of course...

Edited by mobrien

Parking rates at the lots around SF and the Museum Campus are changed all the time according to WHICH event is going on at the Stadium. It's not always $35 - it's that on Bears game days because the Bears get a cut of the parking - normally it's less than half that, though with an evening special event, it'd still be up a bit. Even with that, I'd rather pay more and park within a short walk of the stadium than do what we did in Madison last time it was there - pay a little less but have to rely on a school bus to get us from a parking lot 7 miles away to the stadium and back. And for those staying in the Loop, parking is a total non-issue since a $5 cab ride gets you dropped off at the gate.

Most corps stay in the suburbs of whatever town Finals is in, so that wouldn't be a change. Cavies camp in '02 in Madison was 30 miles away from Camp Randall, about the same distance as Schaumburg is from Solder Field. Traffic into the city reaches a peak at 8 am then again at 5-6 pm, so corps who had early evening starts would be most effected, though that's certainly workable with good planning. Assuming DCI doesn't hook up with schools in certain portions of the south suburbs or near west side (and they wouldn't), I wouldn't be concerned re: the members' safety.

I've lived in Chicago for most of the last 30 years but also lived in Boston (and am back there regularly visiting friends and family). Given the two cities, I'll take Chicago 's traffic over Boston's any day of the week. Since DCI was able to make that work reasonably well, there's no reason that Chicago couldn't work as well or better (provided the Park District was interested in considering the proposal).

Have to remember that DCI wasn't in Boston, it was at Foxborough which is actually closer to Providence RI than boston