Stingray Percussion

Wow,

Huntsville, Ala....I live in Jacksonville, not far at all. Yea, the drums I have are in perfect condition almost. I mean one of the tenors I have I took the number 1 drum off of, but I have a snare sitting high on top of my corner cabinet in the kitchen of my condo here....ITS A BEAUTY...Rick, it sound like you were the Howard Hughes of the drum making industry for awhile!!!....The snares are heavy but wowee...I thought they sounded nice along with those tenors...

Joey O.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow,

Huntsville, Ala....I live in Jacksonville, not far at all. Yea, the drums I have are in perfect condition almost. I mean one of the tenors I have I took the number 1 drum off of, but I have a snare sitting high on top of my corner cabinet in the kitchen of my condo here....ITS A BEAUTY...Rick, it sound like you were the Howard Hughes of the drum making industry for awhile!!!....The snares are heavy but wowee...I thought they sounded nice along with those tenors...

Joey O.

Let's just say "I could have been" the Howard Hughes of the percussion industry if my INVESTORS *cough* were interested in making drums instead of fragile toys !

Stingray Percussion could have been the biggest thing throughout the '90's, but instead...they chose to make a real P.O.S. ! Geez...even Dynasty is pulling in between 3 and 4 million a year on the drums they make. It's not rocket science...and all they had to continue to do was make a quality instrument ! Instead, they chose to compete with CB 700 (if you know what I mean !).

"...we coulda been a contenda !"

Wow,

Joey O.

....I have to add...if the drums you have are laminate wrapped and have the heavy die cast 'North' style lug, don't be afraid to sell them or play them. You have a good instrument !

...on the other hand...if you have a drum that is gel coated with paint inside the shell, and the lugs have a white plastic cap on them...YOU BETTER WEAR EYE PROTECTION AROUND THE HOUSE ! The lug inserts will pop out and ricochet around the kitchen and hit you in the eye !

actually i will back Rick here. Westshore had one of the original sets in 88 and 89, and while heavier than ####, they were good drums.

later editions sucked ###

As I will back Rick here to. In 91 the brigs had used an original set of wood stingrays that we got from Orlando Magic. Altough heavy (thanks Rick) they had good sound and held together well. We actually could tune them and not have them come apart in our hands

Bill oney

my one big gripe about early Stingrays was the snare wedges. they just sounded bad no matter what you did to them. for the tenors, they sounded so nice and deep and rich, but the snares sounded so tinny

I don't know if anyone has ever seen or heard a Stingray Northstar Drumset. But they sound real good. These are super rare to find complete ones. I've only seen bits and pieces eBay never complete sets. I remember when Regional try outs were held at my high school when I was lowly freshman. I listened to a kid practicing on a set. This was late 1995 early 1996. So it couldn't have been very old.

Really Rich sound.

Gulf Coast Sound inherited a set of Stringrays from a local university that we are still using (due to budgetary constraints). We no longer use the snares but we still use the tenors and basses, although the 14 inch drum on one of sets of tenors is beginning to cave in. Here's a picture of a Stringray bass (recovered in black) being used at last year's DCA Championship. GCS Bass

I don't know if anyone has ever seen or heard a Stingray Northstar Drumset. But they sound real good. These are super rare to find complete ones. I've only seen bits and pieces eBay never complete sets. I remember when Regional try outs were held at my high school when I was lowly freshman. I listened to a kid practicing on a set. This was late 1995 early 1996. So it couldn't have been very old.

Really Rich sound.

Did they actually call their set the 'Northstar'...or are you confusing this with the 'North' drums that looked like the bell of a fiberglass tuba ? These were single headed drums !

They did use the 'curved' design for drumsets...these actually had heads on the top, and on the curved bottom. With the way the marching tenors sounded I would only guess that putting a bottom head on those babies would give you a rich sound.

You can't 'screw-up' a drumset too much from a design standpoint, so the ones they made are probably still being used. That's why you'll probably only see bits and pieces for sale every once in a while.

The people that bought the drumsets probably paid 'top dollar' for the darn things and thought they were getting a deal, so they're going to play them for as long as they can and get their moneys worth.

Gulf Coast Sound inherited a set of Stringrays from a local university that we are still using (due to budgetary constraints). We no longer use the snares but we still use the tenors and basses, although the 14 inch drum on one of sets of tenors is beginning to cave in. Here's a picture of a Stringray bass (recovered in black) being used at last year's DCA Championship. GCS Bass

I know...it's tough when you gotta do what ya gotta do !

I can offer a suggestion for the collapsing tenor drum:

I believe Pearl still sells the expanding rings to keep drums from collapsing under extreme tensioning, or, if it's too far gone...strip the hardware, find a bandsaw with a high hight adjustment, and cut it down about half an inch and file a new bearing edge on it. I think you'll still have enough room to get a full life out of the head !