Most enjoyable Drum Corps Documentry ever

You got it right Rob! I can remember using that movie(on an old super8 projector) as a recruiting tool when we went to schools back in the 70s.

Two others I remember, but can't think of the correct titles were one about the Troopers with Walter Brennan narrating, and one the Cavies did in the early 60s that, by the time I ever saw it , was flat out funny, but still described corps life quite well......talked about the "street hoods" and their "Be-Bop" haircuts getting their acts together after joining the Corps.

I would love to get my hands on copies of all three!!

*edited due to fakt thet i kant spel ryit*

You can get The Troopers are Coming on out website: www.troopersdrumcorps.org. We also have a lot of history on the website, so check out the media files and photos.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get The Troopers are Coming on out website: www.troopersdrumcorps.org. We also have a lot of history on the website, so check out the media files and photos.
Duh! why didn't I think of that!? (D@%& Old -Timers Disease!)

Just ordered it!

One down, two to go!!

Sometime in the early 70's a feature section in the San Jose Mercury called the Californian (if I remember correctly) had a huge multipage feature on the Santa Clara Vanguard that included several high impact photos of the corps in uniform. This was when they were still wearing the green satin uniform.

It was in print but had the same kind of impact as video. This is before video was even available to the general public.

Mom

I'm a little partial because I'm in it, but I really enjoy "One Night in August." I've got it on both VHS and DVD, and usually watch it three or four times a year.

I also have the VHS tape of "The Troopers are Coming" that I bought from their souvie stand about 10 or 15 years ago. It's really great seeing all that old footage. My wife and I just watched it again a couple of weeks ago.

"Brass Roots" is still on my list of things to buy.

I've got the Stan Kenton video from around 73 or 74 that features SCV but also shows some Blue Stars, Troopers, Kilties, and Madison - can't remember the name - I think it's "Competitive Drum Corps" and I think I got it from McCormack Enterprises. Highly recommended!

You're absolutely right Rob. The camera followed us around the Summer of '73. Unfortunately it is the "only" video of '73 SCV along with snippets of Troopers, Madison, Blue Stars, 27th and Kilties that I know of. SCVs "full" show, near the end of it, is also just bits and pieces put together. Sometimes the music does not even match the drill. Oh well, better than nothing I guess. As I've said many times before, it is a very sad thought for me when I think of all that wonderful footage of all those great Corps all over the cutting room floor.

I got "Competitive Drum Corps" from the company whose-name-we-shall-not-speak...kidding...I'm in a Potter mood...I got it from 800 Video Express when I ordered a butt load of videos from them once. It's pretty cool. GR is a god.

I liked "traditions" from SCV and "Once more in 94" from the 27th Lancers... that alumni corps was kick butt...especally the rifle squad...man they were clean, they still got it. Wish they would make another alumni corps

QUOTE(Snapps @ Jan 22 2006, 09:19 AM)

Well i know i am behind times over here but i have just watched brass roots and i have to say that is the most enjoyable documentry on DCI I have ever watched........

Snapps, I don't believe you're behind the times at all. That documentary is a very informative one and had a little bit of everything!

#### give me a chance LancerFi .....lol Drum corps is still way behind over here :worthy: