Least favorite ballad ever?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Cadets have a ballad in 2004?

Did Cadets have a ballad in 2004?

No...they took a hiatus from ballads in 2003 and 2004. There were slower, softer parts (2003 - beginning of Malaguena; 2004 - beginning of Songs from the Wood and the beginning of Thick as a Brick)...but nothing that could be considered a ballad.

Least favorite? Cavaliers 2005. Come on now, Cavies, pick an epic, melancholy choral or wind ensemble work, don't just throw a few chords together...

i agree...especially after they chose a song that had such INCREDIBLE potential (just listen to the recording of phantom playin it on the "ornaments in brass" CD), it was a biiiiiig letdown.

Madison 04. Yawn City. Well performed, just nothing there to really enjoy.

No...they took a hiatus from ballads in 2003 and 2004. There were slower, softer parts (2003 - beginning of Malaguena; 2004 - beginning of Songs from the Wood and the beginning of Thick as a Brick)...but nothing that could be considered a ballad.

I think it could be argued that Cavies haven't really played a ballad since 1999, with the exception of 2004. They tend to create pieces of music that are less intense and offer release from the energy and intesity of what has happened before and after the "ballad". Their ballads tend to ride a roller coaster of tempos and styles, with some low moments, some high moments, some fast moments and some slower moments.

M

So I am confused... first, Cavaliers 2005 didn't really have a "ballad" persay.... it was some slow music with a theme I guess you could call it that got fast then slow again but I don't think it was designed to be a stereotypical ballad. Second of all, no one else has ever done that selection because it was original music. If you look at the liner notes of the DVD, it says "The Great Fire of 1971" by Richard Saucedo, Brett Kuhn and Erik Johnson. Whatever, I think it worked for what they were trying to do with it.

Second of all, no one else has ever done that selection because it was original music. If you look at the liner notes of the DVD, it says "The Great Fire of 1971" by Richard Saucedo, Brett Kuhn and Erik Johnson.

...And if you listen to the 4 "original" ballads by Saucedo, Kuhn & Johnson from the last 5 years, you will notice that they all sound very similar. Even the ballad from Niagara Falls which was original by an outside composer had Saucedo written all over it. After 2000 and 2001, I found some of the progressions in Frameworks to be quite predictable. Original? Debatable. Fresh and new? Definitely not.

Second of all, no one else has ever done that selection because it was original music. If you look at the liner notes of the DVD, it says "The Great Fire of 1971" by Richard Saucedo, Brett Kuhn and Erik Johnson. Whatever, I think it worked for what they were trying to do with it.

i was referring to parts of it being based on "amazing grace"...wasnt that originally what the whole ballad was going to be?

Agreed with the comment about '01 ballads, although Colts had a good one as I recall.

Crossmen '02; rest of the show is great, but the ballad does nothing for me.

For whatever reason they decided to change the ballad over the winter. Personally I liked more the first version. If I remember correctly it was entitled Supertonic Suite. I also have a recording of this.

If Chuck Naffier is reading, do you remember why we changed from Supertonic to Candle in the window ?