Calling all Former "Breathe Dah Students"

I see where you're coming from but through my filter I hear "Calling all former Donnie Vandoren students. Please check out the Blue Stars. You'll like what you hear."

That's cool and all, but through MY filter that sounds like "the Blue Stars were just another lower level drum corps that was probably not worth your time, but now that DVD is consulting with us and implimenting a system that is widely used by a number of other corps, you should check us out."

OK, so maybe that's the uber harsh version of what I'm hearing through my filter. Perhaps I'm just more interested to check out the Blue Stars because:

1) they are one of the founding corps of DCI who has made Finals before (and almost won) and nobody seems to remember that

2) they've made incredible progress over the past several years, and taken unbelievably large strides to grow their corps from the smaller divisions to put themselves in a position to return to the big stage

3) I always liked the Blue Stars and don't need another reason to check them out this summer. They're always on my 'gotta check 'em out' list...even before DVD got there.

:)

(For the record, I marched in a hornline back in the day that used the basic breathe dah approach, so don't go thinkin' I'm a hater. I ain't. Just a fan of the Blue Stars who wants people to check them out because they're a fine drum corps, not because of who is teaching/consulting there.)

I see where you're coming from but through my filter I hear "Calling all former Donnie Vandoren students. Please check out the Blue Stars. You'll like what you hear."

Why must the general message be so elitist and exclusive though? If they're creating a great brass program over there, supposedly modeling after the Star legacy, then why would it be something for only an exclusive group to enjoy? A good hornline is a good hornline, regardless of who has experience with the utilized fundamentals.

As for BD or a few other great hornlines not using "breathe dah" and achieving excellent results, you have to realize that they're dealing with a different type of musician. BD nowadays is not going to take such a keystone, building blocks approach to teaching because the brass players they're working with are much more advanced. That doesn't mean they ignore the fundamentals...but the students they're working with come to them already very well-schooled in the fundamentals of tone production, and they're free to focus on more advanced concepts and techniques.

I think the really great hornlines are the ones that don't think that they are above practicing the most basic fundamentals, every single day of the summer.

Crown is all about the breath dah sine '03

I'd say even in the forgotten years of crown of 01 and 02 that it was "all about" the breath dah

On a side note: I find it interesting that all three: Donnie, Wayne, and Jack...all agree that their major influence (if not one of their major influences) in brass playing was Don Angelica. SO maybe it all comes from there?

I believe this system started with Sandra Opie from the Argonne Rebels.

Even though the concept is simple.....it doesn't always get applied as a line. Even though the brass staff says to breath, some may breath for up to 4 counts before they come in. Breath-dah requires everyone to do the same, thus fine tuning the innitiation of sound. It also requires a deep/ full breath everytime, no matter what volumn you are coming in at. Thus the full breathing will produce a better sound the longer the system is in use.It strenthens the abs,lower back,intercostals....and the resonance of the body core all contribute to a great sound. Its a basis that doesn't get forgotton once the music is the primary focus.

Blue Stars have had some Great Lines in the past years But most never saw them because we were Div II & III

In 1997 we won high brass Div 2 with 25 brass (smallest brass line in Div II) that year with a 99. Something

(That year Eric Olsen and Rick Young used a breath dah tech just not said as much)

In 1999 Blue Stars Horn Line (Div III)

At Dci 1/4 finals Beat Crossmen in brass and were very close to Colts

Ended up placing 17th in brass not bad for 20 horns ... (Chris Green used a similar idea as Breath - dah also)

If you can find any recordings video or audio

Check them out.. Those hornline's were good

____

I am still pumped to see Blue Stars this year I am hoping to check them out soon and wish them the best ... I still bleed blue

But I think people around here sometimes forget how good the corps was when we were smaller ... I used to beg friends to march. But we were always lacking the bodies.

BUT.

It was People Like me and many of the other contras and super vets that keep on marching year to year in this little corps from La Crosse

That kept the Dream alive about being open class again ...

And now that time is here I am to old to march but I am there in heart

FCO 2006 Blue Stars - The Alumni are with you all in the heart and minds

Edited by bscontra

Why must the general message be so elitist and exclusive though? If they're creating a great brass program over there, supposedly modeling after the Star legacy, then why would it be something for only an exclusive group to enjoy? A good hornline is a good hornline, regardless of who has experience with the utilized fundamentals.

I see how it can sound that way. I'll let you guys take it up with Russ.

For me it's just another team for me to root for and identify with since that rat bastage took my corps away...anyway... I know these guys are going to do things the way I like to hear them and that gives me a little added incentive to check them out. If I marched Cavies and they were suddenly gone from the activity, I think I would be very excited about following a corps staffed with people I marched with. They would resemble the unique technique, philosophy, and style I came to appreciate while marching with the Cavaliers. I would appreciate the invitation to sit in the warm up arc (not something I've seen corps let any passers by do). I'm not saying this is why Russ started this thread but it is why my interest is peaked.

I suppose this thread is a good example of why some corps discourage their leadership from posting. The printed word is so easy to take the wrong way.

Edited by Medeabrass

Here's how I remember it, from Easter camp, 1986.

- Shorty counted off an excercise

- We blew the attack

- Donnie said, and I quote: "Breathe dah! Breathe dah! What the F&*#! What's so hard? Breathe dah!"

Awesome...I can hear that whiney voice now.