Parental trouble

I hope this is the right forum for this. so I'm sorry if it's not; this will mostly be a rant.

Well I was hoping to be a part of Teal Sound this year, and the Operations Director and Director were helping me work it all out since I'd be getting into it a month or two late, and I've been talking to my parents about it for a while, and they generally seemed supportive. But I've noticed that my parents are typically supportive of anything when they think I'm not serious about, thinking it will be a fleeting thing. Well unfortunately for them, and for me, I really was very serious about this, so we were having another talk about this whole thing tonight, and they FORBADE me to do drum corps! They said that they didn't know where I'd come up with the money (even though I have about $900 in my bank account, and I was hoping to receive that CorpsVets scholarship, and collect corporate sponsorships, and do any and all fundraisers possible), how I'd get there (even though I'd been working to find other people in the Atlanta area I could carpool with), and then they said there was no way they'd let me miss school for this (I'm a high school senior by the way, and I was planinng to take care of all my missed work beforehand). I've been mentioning Appalachian Sound in Tennesse as a possible alternative, in case this did fall through, and I can fully pay for that myself, and luckily I don't need to miss school for it, and I know it will be awesomely fun, but I'll miss out on the whole touring experience. My parents don't seem to understand that that the closest 3 junior corps to Atlanta are 3, 5, and 7 hours away. So their solution to the distance problem is to just refuse to let me participate. I'm turning 18 in April, I'm practically middle-aged in this sport! Since I'm still living under their roof and getting free 'room and board' and using a car they own, there's not much I can do, so I'm going to have to try this all again next summer, when I'll be in college so I can slip away on Fridays to do this and can hopefully get rides much easier.

They reacted like I imagine they'd react if I told them I was an sex crime fellon with an illegitamite crack baby!

Has anyone else had their parents absolutely crush this for them like that??

Edited by hobscrk777

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, if you are sure you aren't going to march this summer, buy three tickets to a DCI show and invite your parents. Pay for the gas, diner etc. Go early and catch a DIV 1 rehearsal, then check out the show and be sure you take your parents around the parking lot after the show. Talk to a corps director or major staff member, maybe even set this up in advance.

Make sure the show is later in the season if possible ( the later the show the better the corps are), or even a regional or big show. I think your parents will love it and be suprised how great the corps families are, and you'll have them sold.

And also if you really want to march, come check out the CorpsVets or Alliance, the two all-age drum corps in town. That way, you could prove your mettle to your parents, and it sounds like it would alleviate a lot of their fears as well. If nothing else, come out to Rockmart on a Sunday afternoon with your parents, watch us rehearse and see if your parents begin to understand.

i'm having some problems with parents. but the problem is rooted in maintaining academics.

everyone hear can vouch for me when I say:

Parents are a big issue when it came to me this summer... in the end, no I'm not marching this year.

I feel for you.

~>conner

better yet, ask them if they'll come to a camp to volunteer.....

so that they can kind of experience it too, and can get a better grasp on it.

I did this w/my mom, and she loved it.

Do the parents "forbid" you to do drum corps for a particular reason? Academics? Because they don't "like" it?

What are your long range plans? To major in music? If so, you could tell them how Drum Corps can help you in this regard.

I also like the "invite the parents to a show" idea - and to let them meet with both other participants AND parents of drum corps members!

Do the parents "forbid" you to do drum corps for a particular reason? Academics? Because they don't "like" it?

What are your long range plans? To major in music? If so, you could tell them how Drum Corps can help you in this regard.

I also like the "invite the parents to a show" idea - and to let them meet with both other participants AND parents of drum corps members!

I don't know what to tell your parents. I put my daughter on a bus in in 1980 and told her I will see you in Birmingham AL. It was one of the best things I every did. She continued to march for a number of years. She is now 40 years old and her best friend is, well her friend from the corp she marched with. This past year her husband purched ticket for national in Foxboro. Both of them went with their husbands. At the show it was like old home week for them, meeting all the people that they marched with over the years.

Tell you parents that you will meet a great bunch of people that will remain you friends for years to come.

My parents were nervous in the winter of my rookie year also in 2002. They were worried that it wasn't a good use of my money, and were worried about my safety (I was 16). My mom came to help the cook staff at the last camp before move in, and was blown away by the support staff and the corps director at the time. After that, she volunteered about once every 3 weeks when she could make it to where we were at.

Tell them that yes the cost looks high, but that is like a 2 1/2 month vacation. There are not too many activities out there today that house, feed, and transport you for that kind of money. The baseball and hockey camps that I used to go to when I was younger costed me at least $1,000 for a week.