Displaying your horns

JimF-LowBari

Have two older horns with two more on the way (c'mon mail service). Tonight my wife came up with an interesting question:

"Besides playing, what the #### are you going to do with them???"

My answer was a very definite:

"Ahhhhh ####" *shrug*

Thinking of displaying them like my brother in law does with his hobby. Only problem is I don't know of a good way to do this. And I sure as crap ain't going to drive nails thru them like Applebys/Bennigans/Cracker Barrel. Any ideas or what others have done would be appreciated.

PS - My brother in law likes to hunt. And my wife likes the ida of displaying horns in the house a heck of a lot better than bear skins and deer and antelope heads on the wall. "At least horns don't look back at you". :worthy:

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Thinking of displaying them like my brother in law does with his hobby. Only problem is I don't know of a good way to do this. And I sure as crap ain't going to drive nails thru them like Applebys/Bennigans/Cracker Barrel. Any ideas or what others have done would be appreciated.

242160.gif

What I did with two old V/R sopranos in my office was use these types of clothes hooks (a little larger size than the one pictured, found them Home Depot) as braces to hang the horns on the wall.

If you buy chrome ones, and place them correctly, they blend right in with the tubing. :)

Just do like I do: nail the tubing to the wall!

j/k.

I'm not like Applebee's or Bennigan's. :P

Oops. I should have read you're entire post before I responded.

Edited by ravedodger

I just put mine on trombone stands. I'm getting to old to bend over to pick them up. At least trombone stands for the upper brass. But I don't have kids, large pets, and other endangering things near my horns. Mellophones are good for keeping the cat away from the horns.

I've thought about building something like a gun rack, bookshelf combo thing for the horns I actually practice on. It'd be one of those horizontal gun racks like you see in the back of pickup trucks around here. With the long angled pegs. For the horns it'd have to be customized and padded of course. Or just use a large care-e-o cabinet. Kind of hard to mount or display a contra in or on anything. I should have taken wood shop in school. I imagine bicycle hooks could work for some horns as long as you know where they'll be secure enough to mount in the house.

Mellophones are good for keeping the cat away from the horns.

:P :P I practice in the cellar and I tell the dog "Get ready to hide in the closet, I'm gonna make some noise" After I'm done I have to get a treat to coax her out. :worthy:

Thanks for the ideas folks, will probably talk to my hunting bro in law as he works construction and knows how to hang things on the wall securely. I'm worried if whatever I use isn't nailed to the studs everything will come down one night. Putting weight on plasterboard only doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Sound be an interesting display. Within a week or two I'll have a pair of 1 valve Tenor (small bell) Baris, a 1 valve Bass (full size bell) Bari and debating on replating and hanging my 2 valve King that got me back into doing corps.

• 2 weeks later...

I collect and deal in antique bugles, from the Civil War period onwards, and have about 90 horns at present. All are fully restored, and displayed in my office hanging bell down from the ceiling beams, much as you might see them in a brass repair facility. I use large brass cup hooks covered in plastic tubing.

They are easily accessible yet out of the way, and make an aesthetically pleasing display.

I collect and deal in antique bugles, from the Civil War period onwards, and have about 90 horns at present. All are fully restored, and displayed in my office hanging bell down from the ceiling beams, much as you might see them in a brass repair facility. I use large brass cup hooks covered in plastic tubing.

They are easily accessible yet out of the way, and make an aesthetically pleasing display.

I would love to see a picture of that!