Indianapolis Bids for DCI

Indy is cool with me. I'd be able to visit family and see drum corps in the same vacation. :sigh:

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back on topic (no offense, Jeff), but I might actually make it to my first finals since 2000 if they stay in Indy for awhile . . .

. . . provided I'm still attending shows, of course.

like i said, i see plusses and minuses.

either way, DCI is ###### if they do and ###### if they don't.

All I ask is that the stadium food be good...

i said that about a possible DCA bid to NC and got skewered :P

I've lived in Indiana for 11 years and never knew we had a state fair.

That's probably because you were living in "da' region".

Surprisingly a lot of things happen downstate besides that little yearly car race.

no.

No variety... dont like it.

just me though... I wish they'd bring it to Madison 10 years straight.

I do however, like the rotation idea alright.

~>conner

So you dont want it to be held in the same city for 10 years straight because of lack of variety...then you do want it to be held in the same city for 10 year straight?

Hmmm Disney should put something in indianapolis.

I really liked the years where I could just ride rollercoasters in orlando (even though the venue and the weather kinda sucked).

Interesting discussion so far. We have been discussing it on the Star Alumni Forums as well.

One thing I haven't seen really expressed well is that the regionals could be used to 'rotate' and develop new areas. Places like Jackson would have better been tested with a regional rather then the big show. Obviously the big Indy show will have to go somewhere else. Good venues like Madison, Buffalo, ect. could be covered with large regional or Preview of Champions type shows. By rotating the proven venues with developing areas such as N.Carolina, Florida the tour flow could be varied from year to year. Now that DCI is consistently making money and knowing you would always have a solid Championships week, DCI might expand the regional calendar a bit. What about a West coast regional or a return to Canada every year or so.

The arguement that Indy isn't exactly a vacation spot, well, I don't know about you but Madison isn't any more a vacation then Indy. It was nice having the theme parks and the like down in Orlando, but it also made that trip more expensive and busy. I like having some things to do, but for me I am all about the drum corps during that week. Plus for the majority of folks that is more of a long weekend then a week anyway. I've been to Div III prelims before, attendance is shall we say 'limited'.

Indy is a guranteed money maker. Solid attendance, great venue, central-enough for the Left coasters. Let the regionals take on the risky areas. The funny thing is people are not sure they want championships in the same place yet would complain if certain 'set' shows such as Drums Along the Rockies or Allentown were not held each year. Usually that just means it is a local show for them. You can't please all the people all the time I guess. Indy sure would please a large portion of them though.

And please, having to find parking and hotel space in Madison for ten years straight? Yikes! I like the place too, but it has it's issues.

And don't ask, I've been to every Finals and Preview-type show held in Camp Randall either as a performer or fan since 85'. I know (and enjoy) the place well.

like i said, i see plusses and minuses.

either way, DCI is ###### if they do and ###### if they don't.

that's your opinion. I disagree either way.

So you dont want it to be held in the same city for 10 years straight because of lack of variety...then you do want it to be held in the same city for 10 year straight?

I'm saying if there is a stadium to hold it 10 years straight, I'd prefer Madison.

I dont WANT it to be held 10 years straight anywhere... because of lack of variety.

~>conner

i am glad you disagree.

if DCI says no, they will have ###### off a long time partner offering a golden goose. that could be ugly.

and fans who don't want to go to the same place 10 years in a row will be ######. i would think if they do set that up, the gas fees need to be recalculated to benefit the corps from outside the immediate midwest area.

One thing I haven't seen really expressed well is that the regionals could be used to 'rotate' and develop new areas. Places like Jackson would have better been tested with a regional rather then the big show. Obviously the big Indy show will have to go somewhere else. Good venues like Madison, Buffalo, ect. could be covered with large regional or Preview of Champions type shows. By rotating the proven venues with developing areas such as N.Carolina, Florida the tour flow could be varied from year to year. ...

The arguement that Indy isn't exactly a vacation spot, well, I don't know about you but Madison isn't any more a vacation then Indy. It was nice having the theme parks and the like down in Orlando, but it also made that trip more expensive and busy. I like having some things to do, but for me I am all about the drum corps during that week. ...

That's a great idea ... rotate the regionals more -- that's something I've complained about for a couple of years -- Indy, S.Ant, Allentown, Denver, Murfreesboro ... great places, but why go there EVERY year and only "rotate" finals. Now, if Finals is set more, they should be able to rotate those major regionals more and actually give people more variety.

From what I've heard, Indy is a pretty good destination. All cities have great things going on if people "want" to find them. And, if the city is courting DCI, you can bet they're going to plan other events those weeks to make it fun and interesting for fans. It must be a pretty good place if the NCAA has signed on to bring the Final Four there every four year (and put its Hall of Fame there, which I would visit if I made it to Indy for DCI Finals).

I also liked the ideas of "season tickets" for fans -- sitting in the same seats for a couple of years in a row next to the same people actually give you another reason to go and visit "friends" and fans.

Remember -- this is a negociation. I think (hope) DCI can see that at least a little bit of variety in the Finals sites is a good thing. If Indy is offering to host 9 finals in 10 years, maybe DCI counters with 10 finals in 15 years (2 of every three years) with a regional there in the five off-finals years ... and maybe they agree on something like nine finals in 12 years (three of every four years) with regionals the other three ... this is an initial offer from the city of Indianapolis, meaning this is what they'd like to see but likely not the only thing they'd accept. Hopefully all of this nay-saying doesn't scare city officials away and have them withdraw their offer ... there's a good deal in here somewhere and I'm sure DCI officials will do what's best for the activity.

Edited by BlueR36