The 411 on G Force

Everything happens in life for a reason, and sometimes when everything is working against you, it means a change is in your future.

I realized this when I was offered, and accepted, a great job in the Central New Jersey area. It became clear to me that the only reason I was staying in the Western PA area was the five year commitment I made to try to establish G Force in Western PA.

G Force was to have its 2006 season open house this past weekend. Despite the efforts of a few dedicated and interested board members, and even offering free food at the open house; the corps received no emails of interest, no phone calls, and this past Saturday no one showed up.

It is obvious that despite over 6000 hits on the website since DCA finals, advertising on local cable TV, putting up posters at local college music buildings, putting up posters at local music stores, sending posters to area high schools, putting numerous posts on many marching related boards; there simply is insufficient local or regional interest in the activity to warrant continuing trying to field a corps.

Before I started the corps I spent nearly seven years investigating why previous area corps failed, then worked out the business plan to overcome these obstacles. Part of the business plan included purchasing enough brass, percussion, pit, and guard equipment to field a full sized corps from the first day of operations in 2004. Also, purchasing new uniforms, and choosing music which many people had said was on their “I must play” list.

I had two simple personal reasons for starting the corps; one was my passion to share the activity with the area, and two I was growing tired of having to drive hundreds of miles and six plus hours one way from the Pittsburgh area, just for winter weekend camps.

I am now faced with two simple facts for pulling the plug; one a lack of interest, and two I am starting a job 300 miles to the East.

My passion for the activity has no way been diminished by the outcome of this venture. As the owner of all the equipment, it is still my passion to see the equipment put to good use in performances and I will entertain options as to the disposition of the equipment. Lastly, if there is any interest in drum corps in the key of G, in the area of Trenton to Philadelphia, let me know.

Randy

Randy,

I am sorry to hear this. Your area needed corps. Best of luck in your new job.

Best of luck to you Randy,

Its difficult to make such a choice, after all the hard work. You put your whole life into something and it breaks your heart. Congratulations on your new job, and best wishes for your future. I will miss the oppurtunity, to be on the field together, with GForce. :(

Sincerely,

Jeff Danchik

President BOD

Mon Valley Express

Edited by jeff danchik

Randy,

I have never met you, but I am sorry to hear that your efforts didnt bring the expected results. Grass roots drum corps is what we are , regardless of what some people believe that the activity is above the local community. In some ways that attitude has made it more difficult new corps to make it... I love the name G Force and I had hoped to see the corps real go somewhere. Your message about the decision to move on is classy and admirable.

All the best in your professional journey !

Edited by celtickid

Randy, disappointing news indeed. It's obvious you have learned at least one important lesson from drum corps. Failure does not mean "the end." I encourage you to continue using your energy to help the activity.

Many people get offended by stereotyping, but I'll do that here. It seems, in my opinion, DCA drum corps participants fall into three general classifications: (1) the "doers" (i.e., the ones who contribute their sweat, tears and countless hours of personal time - often without gratitude - to make a drum corps work); (2) the "timeclock participants" - those who join a corps and limit their contributions (in varying degrees) to rehearsal and show time whether out of necessity or choice; and (3) the "beach blanket crowd" - those who view their corps as strictly a social club. (2) and (3) do not exist without group (1) and you, my friend, are in Group 1. Drum corps needs a lot more people in Group 1 if it is ever going to thrive.

Randy,

Being originally from NJ, there is a lot of Drum Corps history there! Central NJ could definetely support either an all age or senior corps. Hang in there! Your efforts are not in vain. Dedication, perseverence, and vision are always rewarded!!!!

I may be making quite an investment myself soon. Maybe we'll talk.

"A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission". (Rush---Mission)

i knew about thisalso and wanted to post something but was told not to...(thats sucks)

Really sorry to hear this news. I know what it's like to pour your heart and soul into a project that should, by all reckoning, work....but just won't get off the ground.

Hope we will see you around somewhere, sometime.

(snip)

Many people get offended by stereotyping, but I'll do that here. It seems, in my opinion, DCA drum corps participants fall into three general classifications: (1) the "doers" (i.e., the ones who contribute their sweat, tears and countless hours of personal time - often without gratitude - to make a drum corps work); (2) the "timeclock participants" - those who join a corps and limit their contributions (in varying degrees) to rehearsal and show time whether out of necessity or choice; and (3) the "beach blanket crowd" - those who view their corps as strictly a social club. (2) and (3) do not exist without group (1) and you, my friend, are in Group 1. Drum corps needs a lot more people in Group 1 if it is ever going to thrive.

Never have truer words ever been written. :wub:

You must have been in Denver a little over a year ago! b**bs

Rice

Edited by rwrice