Is it OK to have many different style of shows?

Is it OK to have many different styles of shows?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Is it OK to have many different style shows?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is there more than one way for an audience member to appreciate a show, ie: clapping, thinking, ect

• Yes
    • No

I have seen a number of posts on here talking about the different kinds of shows the DCI corps perform and how the audiece reacts to them. Many people like many kinds of shows. Some of those shows are happy, some are very dark. Some are filled with fun jazz, other with sophisticated classical, and still others with patriotic music, or even rock and roll. Every year, shows cause people to feel a wide range of thoughts and emotions, from happiness and jubilation, to anger and saddness. They are given 11 minutes of a good time, or a show that causes them to think and contemplate it days even years later.

But there are some fans who seem to insist that all shows follow a certain formula. That they all need to be happy, or cause people to snap there fingers or clap their hands in rhythm. They seem to think that if a show can't be broken down into a 10 second clip they can whistle on the way home, it's a bad show. And I simply ask, is it OK for there to be shows for differnt types of fans? Keep the shows that get people on their feet clapping and screaming, but also keep some people in the seats, minds contemplating the intricacies of movement, and how it relates to the music. Is there room for that range? Or is drum corps limited to one taste?

I, personally, would say that there can be a number of different types of successful shows. This is just because I appreciate a lot of all of the different kinds of shows you listed. I like them for different reasons, but that doesn't mean that all of them can't be great.

And another quick note, this last year has made it seem to me like the judges have this perspective too (to a point, and as long as the performance is good). Look at the top corps and then think about the difference in the shows of Cadets, Cavaliers, and Phantom Regiment.

Well, I have already said that one of the things that makes going to a drum corps show "entertaining" is "variety". I have also said that one of things that has made me a head over heals DCA nut is the fact that you watch a corps like the Buccs and they are all "cutting edge" and "state of the art" 21st century drum corps. Then you watch a corps like the Renegades and they remind you of BD in the late 80s and early 90s (at least to me). Then, you watch a corps like the Caballeros and they hit you with REAL old school style music from the late 70s and early 80s. I like that! So, yes! By all means, let's not be cookie cutter. Let's have variety.

Edited by torn8o

I disagree with the premise of this thread. I don't think anyone really wants all drum corps music to be of one mood or genre.

In reality, all drum corps shows have variety. No one does just ballads for 10 minutes. No one does nothing but torrents of eighth notes at 208 bpm tempo for 10 minutes either. Every show has a mix of different moods and styles.

I think I understand where John's coming from on this. It seems to me we've had a number of posters lately who want to be able to respond to all shows in the same manner. Yeah, at lot of shows have different styles, but on a broader level, they want all shows to be the kind of show that makes you stand and cheer. Essentially, they seem to be seeking one type of audience response, even if that response comes from many different styles of shows. They want the visceral stand-up-and-cheer show.

Myself, I feel that the idiom has proven itself to be very good at eliciting that particular emotion. However, the possibility exists for so much more. I want to see more shows pressing different buttons. think the first half of Star '93, not the closer which was a typical drum corps chart. I want to see shows that are introspective, angry, sorrowful, any number of emotions. I think that's what must happen before we can have true variety, rather than haven the same emotion tapped over and over for three hours during finals.

not a lot of discrepancy is there?

not a lot of discrepancy is there?

Yeah, it's pretty unanimous. 27-0 in favor of variety in both polls as I'm typing this. Someone I know who marched in the 80's told me about how when the Cadets were pushing the envelope and doing more "intellectual" (for that era) shows, that fans really looked forward to seeing them because it was something different. Now in an era where "intellectual" shows are the status quo, someone like Phantom Regiment can do an "in your face entertaining" show and be praised in the same way that the Cadets were 20 years earlier. To quote Morgan Freeman's character from Robin Hood, "Allah loves wondrous variety".

But how could DCI possibly regulate something like this? "Gee, sorry Jeff, Cadets are already doing an intellectual show this year, you're going to have to do something entertaining insteady"