Females To Make The Snare Line

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is the DCI forum, but I saw mention of some DCA corps. There was a very talented female snare who played with the Sunrisers for many years (late 70's to mid 80's) and had the chops to challenge any male. That would be Cathy Ferrari.

I think I remember Cathy...She was friends with Lisa Gilmer who marched in the Buccaneers tenor line for a number of years and was in the snareline in 82. Lisa moved back to tenor in 83 (when I met her) because she was a matched grip player....Bucs did matched in 82. Sunrisers had a killer drumline in the early 80's!

In the junior ranks - I marched next to Chris Swearingen in Wausau Story in 78. She had come from the Belle's of St. Mary's all-girl corps. Great player and a super person. I wish I could find the rehearsal photo that was taken by drum corps photographer Dave Devlin of that snareline. Six of us with shirts off and Chris on the end - obviously not joining us in our attire!

We also had a very good female player in the 79 Troopers snareline, but I cannot remember her name.

jim

Blue Knights had a young female rookie snare in 96. Sadly, I can't remember her name. Unfortunately, she was really short which led to some problems. The harnesses for Blue Knights were longer than she'd ever marched or designed differently than anything she had marched before and she wound up getting some horrendous bruises on the tops of her thighs. She also started having knee and back problems because she couldn't extend her leg as far as the guys during drill because the bottom of the harness hindered her step.

By the middle of the West Coast tour she saw a doctor again and he told her she just couldn't march. I felt so bad for her because she was a female rookie that had made a Ralph Hardimon line and couldn't march the season due to an equipment technicality. I do know the drum staff did everything they could to fix whatever they could with the equipment, but in the end, it wasn't enough.

She had planned on joining us in the pit after talking to the doctor and corps staff, but she wound up going home after a discussion with her family that night.

This was my last year marching, so I don't know if she wound up marching anywhere else. I really hope so. If anyone has any information, I sure would like to know.

• 2 months later...
Hi Mary, I also competed against you, I was in the Crossmen guard from 1975-1977 & 1979-1982. Our first female snare who marched in 1982 was Gizel Cadieux from Montreal and she was my bus partner that year. She was a very talented drummer and we still stay in touch, although not enough.

Yes, I knew Gizel from her days with the Chatelaines. I marched with the Fire-Ettes back then. When she marched with you in Crossmen, I was marching with Freelancers. I have a great photo of myself, Gizel, Peggy from Phantom, and Kelli from BD at finals that year.

Mary Gromko-Murray

lancers76.JPG

I'm guessing that's you second from the right. :huh:

Yeah that's me. I was 16 years old when I first marched with the Lancers!

Dee Dee Queen & Lynn DeAngelis 77 Garfield Cadets

I think Garfield didn't make finals until the early 80's? I can't remember the year.

Hey Mary. Good to see you here!

Sorry for the slightly belated welcome to DCP.

In 1985 Spirit had a female snare drummer, Paula (can't remember her last name!) who had come from Glassmen.

I believe her name is Paula Furgette (sp?)

I drummed with two gal snare drummers back in the day. They were both good - broke up the male monotony - and injected a little female humor into the line. They were cool to drum with. :)

Some that come to my mind...

I know SCV had one on their line in 02 and 05. Crown had one in 04. Magic had one or two in 04 and 05?? JSU had one in 05

the list could go on, but as you can see from my knowledge only, the number of females on snarelines is increasing every year.

Crown has had female snare players in 97,98,05 and 06.

Edited by tubamann