All-Male Hornlines

I know all-male hornlines were not uncommon in the pre-DCI era, were any junior corps hornlines still all-male after DCI was formed (other than Madison/Cavies)?

Just curious.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know all-male hornlines were not uncommon in the pre-DCI era, were any junior corps hornlines still all-male after DCI was formed (other than Madison/Cavies)?

Just curious.

:laugh:

I know the Kilties were all-male until '78. I don't know if they took ladies in the hornline that year or not.

Maybe some of the Kurrent Kilts could verify that.

Pat

Santa Clara Vanguard up until 1983 was all male.

Are you positive? I ran into a woman at a local high school musical a few years ago who saw me with my Bluecoats jacket on and I thought said she marched in '81 when SCV won, and said it was the first year she was allowed to play in the hornline.

:laugh:

I know the Kilties were all-male until '78. I don't know if they took ladies in the hornline that year or not.

Maybe some of the Kurrent Kilts could verify that.

Pat

Hi Pat,

As usual, your accute knowledge of drum corps history is right on the mark!

The '78 horn and drum lines were still all-male. Women were added to the guard only in '78.

The last all-male horn line in DCA (as far as I know) was '99 Kilts.

The last all-male corps in DCA was '98 Kilts.

Are you positive? I ran into a woman at a local high school musical a few years ago who saw me with my Bluecoats jacket on and I thought said she marched in '81 when SCV won, and said it was the first year she was allowed to play in the hornline.

I'm pretty sure it's 1983. Perhaps the hornline changed earlier. 83 was defnitely the first year females marched in their drumline.

79 BD had one female. Poor Cheryl.