All-Male Hornlines

I distinctly remember both BD and Spirit having females in the single digit numbers in their line in to the early 80's.

Didn't Bonnie Ott march in BD in the early 70's?

PHil

Anaheim Kingsmen (fall)77-78 season

Dream 02 charter member,04 lead sop & soloist

Kingsmen Alumni Corps 05-07

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think in 73 she marched with the Stockton Commodores

"All Male Hornlines":

The Hawthorne Muchachos were "All Male", as was Blessed Sacrament and the Boston Crusaders. I don't recall seeing any distaff performers in the brass sections of 27th Lancers or North Star either.

Elphaba

"All Male Hornlines":

The Hawthorne Muchachos were "All Male", as was Blessed Sacrament and the Boston Crusaders. I don't recall seeing any distaff performers in the brass sections of 27th Lancers or North Star either.

Elphaba

Garfield as well at that time...not sure when the first year was that females were permitted in horn line.

:angry: I'm confused.....There were girls in hornlines dating back to the very first year of DCI. I don't recall any lines that were exclusively male other than Madison and Cavies. Even if none marched, BD certainly never excluded girls from playing in the line....that I'm aware of anyway. Edited by skluyuk

"All Male Hornlines":

Elphaba

Hmm...27th Lancers had females in their horn lines..I was one of them... :P I asked George B. this and they've always allowed females in their horn line. :) But none joined the line till 1973 (around that time). There just wasn't a whole lot of women that could stay the course from my understanding. I think we had like 10-12 my years (which was alot by their standards).

I find it interesting that SCV didn't allow females in their horn lines until 1983.

We had to wear hair nets with our hair all the way up so we couldn't be distinguished as women and also weren't allowed any make up or anything (not that'd you'd want to wear make up to sweat off)...but very strict rules about that. :) Only the color guard was allowed to wear make up.We had to do the push ups just like the guys too, no "women" push ups for us...lol.

Edited by Lancerlady

:angry: I'm confused.....There were girls in hornlines dating back to the very first year of DCI. I don't recall any lines that were exclusively male other than Madison and Cavies. Even if none marched, BD certainly never excluded girls from playing in the line....that I'm aware of anyway.

The Boston Crusaders did not allow any women in the hornline until well into the 1980's if I recall correctly. Some of those years, they fielded Div I corps with only 20+ members rather than break with the all male tradition. No matter how good a horn player you were, if you were a woman and wanted to march in Boston, you marched in the color guard.