National Dream Contest Roosevelt Stadium

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's one more.

I was in possibly the worst seats in the house. I was looking around with my binoculars and saw this guy sitting on the 50 yard line with an empty seat next to him. I worked my way down a couple of sections and checked again. Seat still empty. The show started and by the time the second corps started the seat was still vacant, so I figured, what the heck. I went down and asked him if anyone was sitting there and he told me 'no'. I sat next to him and we just got assaulted by one wall of sound after the other! Finally I asked him if he knew why the seat was empty.

He said, "For the past twenty-five years my wife and I have been going to the Dream together and every year we always sit in the same seats."

I asked him why she didn't make it that year.

"My wife passed away.", was all that he said and looked at the seat that I was in. I immediately felt sad that he was there alone and asked him, "Well, isn't there any other family member or friend who would came with you?"

"Well, no", he told me. "They're all at the funeral".

You're right Bill...Roosevelt was a Baseball Field and "Pretty Torn Up" too....and Yes Sun did have "Dream" drumlines..very good as I remember...but, I believe this picture is at the 1981 "Dream Contest" which I believe was held at Giants Stadium........... can anybody please verify this???

Yes Fred and Bill, it was a baseball stadium that went from grass to patchy grass to dirt to dust and then demolition. The '81 Dream was held at Giants Stadium.

Ray

Anyone notice the scoreboard with the artist's initials and his corps affiliations?

port.jpg

Edited by bariforhire

Was this the BEST SHOW ever?

I was just informed that John Hickey, my best man at my FIRST Wedding, has passed away. John was a French Horn player with me in St. Rocco's and in the Skyliners. I will miss him dearley and will always remember his devotion to Drum Corps.

John had a natural tone that even Pepe was impressed with.

God Bless you John. Have fun up there with all drum corps people. John loved the DREAM!

LONG LIVE the DREAM!

The '81 Dream was held at Giants Stadium.

Ray

Yep..... little did we know at the time, but 1980 was the last Dream at Roosevelt Stadium.

1981... Giants Stadium,

1982....Rutgers Stadium,

1983.... the stadium in Bayonne. (I forget the name of the venue)

Then the show went away for a while.... revived in 1999 and hung around for a couple more years after that at sites in NJ.

I had the honor of announcing the show in 1983, and again in 2000 and 2001. I believe...not totally sure... that the late, great H. Worth Ake was the announcer for several years at Roosevelt Stadium.

I really miss The Dream. Quite possibly THE all-time classic drum corps show.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Yep..... little did we know at the time, but 1980 was the last Dream at Roosevelt Stadium.

1981... Giants Stadium,

1982....Rutgers Stadium,

1983.... the stadium in Bayonne. (I forget the name of the venue)

Then the show went away for a while.... revived in 1999 and hung around for a couple more years after that at sites in NJ.

I had the honor of announcing the show in 1983, and again in 2000 and 2001. I believe...not totally sure... that the late, great H. Worth Ake was the announcer for several years at Roosevelt Stadium.

I really miss The Dream. Quite possibly THE all-time classic drum corps show.

Fran

It's so sad that they let that place go to crap!!!!!!! and I also happen to agree that aside from DCA and DCI

Championship....this was the greatest show EVER 'specially @ Roosevelt Stadium!!! I also believe you are right about H. Worth Ake!!!!!!!!! Long Live The Dream!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Fred Steiner Jr.